VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 29th, 2009 #121
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
Sorry, Lasher wasn't aware this was a comedy forum. He will try and follow the rules more closely in the future.
Fred Streed wants me to tell you so you can let Lasher know that it makes your replies informing us of what Lasher thinks easier to follow if you enclose the original post in a quote format and your and Lasher's replies in the main body of the post. Like this:

Quote:
Sorry, Lasher wasn't aware
and then you and Lasher reply to it like this, and then if Lasher wants to quote something else you do it like this:

Quote:
this was a comedy forum.
and then you can let us know what ol' Lasher thinks about that. Then if you and Lasher wants to quote again you can do so, like this:

Quote:
He will try and follow the rules more closely in the future.
And then Lasher can respond to that. Makes it a little easier for myself and Fred Streed, who is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, to follow.

Old March 29th, 2009 #122
Lasher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Streed View Post
Fred Streed wants me to tell you so you can let Lasher know that it makes your replies informing us of what Lasher thinks easier to follow if you enclose the original post in a quote format and your and Lasher's replies in the main body of the post. Like this:

and then you and Lasher reply to it like this, and then if Lasher wants to quote something else you do it like this:

and then you can let us know what ol' Lasher thinks about that. Then if you and Lasher wants to quote again you can do so, like this:

And then Lasher can respond to that. Makes it a little easier for myself and Fred Streed, who is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, to follow.
Lasher says to tell Fred Streed to put Lasher on ignore if he doesn't like Lasher's way of replying. Lasher is attempting to follow the suggestions of the administrator by using new and outre methods of communication.

Old March 29th, 2009 #123
Lasher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
definitely

any other spelling...WRONG

get the FINITE part? ya see how it all hangs together?

words? letters? sentences? paragarphs?

GET IT RIGHT
Is a paragarph the same as a paragraph?

Old March 29th, 2009 #124
Fred Streed
Holy Order of Cosmonauts

Quote:
Lasher says to tell Fred Streed to put Lasher on ignore if he doesn't like Lasher's way of replying. Lasher is attempting to follow the suggestions of the administrator by using new and outre methods of communication.
You certainly have the outre part down. I don't think I will take your advice about putting Lasher on ignore, I want to see how this plays out. Could get real entertaining.

Old March 29th, 2009 #125
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
L by using new and outre methods of communication.
Did you mean outré?

Old March 29th, 2009 #126
Lasher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsgal88 View Post
Did you mean outré?
It must get lonely sitting there in front of your computer waiting for Lasher to make a mistake. Of course Lasher meant it the way you typed it, but He just hasn't typed enough to know the way to add the little doo-hickey above the last letter in the word "outre." Sorry you had trouble making out the word, old girl. Perhaps you should inform Fred of this catastrophic error.

Old March 29th, 2009 #127
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Is a paragarph the same as a paragraph?
Quote:
It must get lonely sitting there in front of your computer waiting for Lasher to make a mistake.
Are you lonely?

ctrl, alt and e pressed together. é

Old March 29th, 2009 #128
Lasher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsgal88 View Post
Are you lonely?

ctrl, alt and e pressed together. é
Is that a proposition?

Old March 30th, 2009 #129
Lasher
Banned

[QUOTE=Alex Linder;967447]It's not just the spelling. It's the sound, the number of syllables, the comedic/artistic/literary purpose or effect aimed at, the connotations evoked, the simple sound of the thing. Proper spelling and grammar are for conventional words used conventionally. Neither demoronize or demoronicize is a "real" word therefore conventional rules hardly apply.

Oh, Alex, remember that it's "either/or" and "neither/nor." As in "Neither demoronize NOR demoronicize ..."

Old March 30th, 2009 #130
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Quote:
Where does all the corruption of the language end?
It ends where the literacy of the masses ends.

Old March 30th, 2009 #131
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Quote:
It is true that the English language is in a state of constant revision and change, but for individuals such as you or me to presume to be the arbiters of what is correct is, indeed, presumptive, don't you think?
That ought to read "such as you or I".

Old March 30th, 2009 #132
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Poetry which isn't composed to be heard isn't poetry.

Quote:
Genius on many levels.
Cummings was a gimmick.

Then again, you're the kind who reads poetry in silence, aren't you?

Old March 30th, 2009 #133
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sándor Petőfi View Post
That ought to read "such as you or I".
I disagree. The "such as" refers to "individuals", which is in the "for" prepositional phrase. You wouldn't say: "for I to presume...", but rather, "for me to presume...".

However, "presumptive" is wrong (or rather, redundant). The word you want is "presumptuous".

Last edited by George Witzgall; March 31st, 2009 at 12:01 AM.

Old March 31st, 2009 #134
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
I disagree. The "such as" refers to "individuals", which is in the "for" prepositional phrase. You wouldn't say: "for I to presume...", but rather, "for me to presume...".
Disagree all you like, but you are wrong, since it is the individuals which takes the accusative case, not the words in the phrase qualifying individuals. One doesn't say such as me; one says such as I.

Old March 31st, 2009 #135
George Witzgall

Quote:
Disagree all you like, but you are wrong, since it is the individuals which takes the accusative case, not the words in the phrase qualifying individuals. One doesn't say such as me; one says such as I.
I say "such as me." You are wrong, I am right.

737,000 google hits.

sample link to newspaper column titled : "Hold pundits such as me more accountable"

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...97/group/home/

Last edited by George Witzgall; March 31st, 2009 at 12:12 AM.

Old March 31st, 2009 #136
Derrick MacThomas

To watch Americans argue over spelling and grammar is like watching the Special Olympics of the English language.
What most Americans do not realise is that their bastardised version of English is not used outside the borders of their country.
May Noah Webster spend eternity with his testicles in a vice for having the arrogance (and ignorance) to attempt to change the spellings of both the English and Latin languages.
Sadly, the education systems throughout the English-speaking world are now so pathetically inadequate that most people have no idea how to write the language correctly.
I have spent most of the past 33 years as a newspaper and magazine sub-editor. I have yet to encounter the journalism graduate who can write the language correctly. Literacy is not a requirement for a pass in the journalism degree course, apparently.
PS: George is correct about the use of me and I. Although it sounds coarse, it would be correct to say 'my wife and me', rather than 'my wife and I'. The use of I in that context became part of the language during the 1800s because it was an affectation of Queen Victoria. The social elite of the British Empire copied the Queen and the cancer spread from there.

Last edited by Derrick MacThomas; March 31st, 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Old March 31st, 2009 #137
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Quote:
I say "such as me."
No. It would be "such as me" if he had introduced commas between individuals and to, making it "... but for individuals, such as (for) you or me, to presume ..."

Quote:
You are wrong, I am right.
Wah, wah. Georgie got his thumb stuck up his ass where he put it last night.

Old March 31st, 2009 #138
George Witzgall

Quote:
No. It would be "such as me" if he had introduced commas between individuals and to, making it "... but for individuals, such as (for) you or me, to presume ..."
wtf? you need some backup for your whacko theories, link to what the fuck you are talking about or else shut the fuck up. I gave you 737,000 examples, including titles of newspaper columns.

Old March 31st, 2009 #139
Sándor Petőfi
Banned

Quote:
737,000 google hits.
Appeal to the masses?

Quote:
sample link to newspaper column titled : "Hold pundits such as me more accountable"

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...97/group/home/
Ah, yes, and even though the correct form is "like I (am)", not "like me", "smart like I" has a measly 719 hits, and "smart like me" 24,600. That settles that.

Old March 31st, 2009 #140
George Witzgall

Quote:
Appeal to the masses?

Ah, yes, and even though the correct form is "like I (am)", not "like me", "smart like I" has a measly 719 hits, and "smart like me" 24,600. That settles that.
stfu dickhead. I always crush you when we debate your silly challenges, why should this time be any different.

Thread