VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 9th, 2020 #1
Erik T. White

Arrow Data on pandemic influenza Type A H1N1 and some observations

Quote:
Pandemic influenza
An influenza pandemic is a global epidemic caused by a new influenza virus to which there is little or no pre-existing immunity in the human population. Influenza pandemics are impossible to predict; and they may be mild, or cause severe disease or death. Severe disease may occur in certain risk groups, which may correspond to those at risk of severe disease due to seasonal influenza. However, healthy persons are also likely to experience more serious disease than that caused by seasonal influenza.
The most recent pandemic occurred in 2009 and was caused by an influenza A (H1N1) virus. It is estimated to have caused between 100 000 and 400 000 deaths globally in the first year alone.
http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-to...emic-influenza

The above is a fact. The border crisis in Greece is a fact. The kwa is being invaded by useless and often dangerous invaders who are dangerous by actions (e. g., drug cartel members, carriers of diseases like tetanus, etc.) and these are facts.

The new James Bond film, scheduled for release this spring, has been postponed until next November :

Quote:
James Bond film 'No Time To Die' delayed until November

MGM, Universal and Bond producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, announced today that after careful consideration and thorough evaluation of the global theatrical marketplace, the release of NO TIME TO DIE will be postponed until November 2020. pic.twitter.com/a9h1RP5OKd— James Bond (@007) March 4, 2020
https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...7381583346758/
IF COVID-19 is a nasty virus, large gatherings like the theme parks in Florida and national parks and everywhere else where large gatherings of people congregate are at risk and this is a fact.

IF invaders are let into Europe by the multi-millions, stock markets will crash, tourism dollars will dry up, businesses will fail and these will be facts.

So, what the hell is driving the hysteria behind COVID-19?? Type A H1N1 influenza killed somewhere between 100,000 and 400,000 individuals globally in its first year (see above) and this is an established fact.

From what has been reported COVID-19 is NOT an automatic death sentence and this is a fact. People do recover from an infection.

Now, is the agenda global?? To bring all the goyim into line and "hospitalize" or kill those who are non-compliant with "government mandates for public health and safety"?????

I do not know. I'll still need more data on what is being planned to make, what I hope, would be an educated estimate or guess.

Old March 10th, 2020 #2
Joe from OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. White View Post
http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-to...emic-influenza

The above is a fact. The border crisis in Greece is a fact. The kwa is being invaded by useless and often dangerous invaders who are dangerous by actions (e. g., drug cartel members, carriers of diseases like tetanus, etc.) and these are facts.

The new James Bond film, scheduled for release this spring, has been postponed until next November :

https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...7381583346758/
IF COVID-19 is a nasty virus, large gatherings like the theme parks in Florida and national parks and everywhere else where large gatherings of people congregate are at risk and this is a fact.

IF invaders are let into Europe by the multi-millions, stock markets will crash, tourism dollars will dry up, businesses will fail and these will be facts.

So, what the hell is driving the hysteria behind COVID-19?? Type A H1N1 influenza killed somewhere between 100,000 and 400,000 individuals globally in its first year (see above) and this is an established fact.

From what has been reported COVID-19 is NOT an automatic death sentence and this is a fact. People do recover from an infection.

Now, is the agenda global?? To bring all the goyim into line and "hospitalize" or kill those who are non-compliant with "government mandates for public health and safety"?????

I do not know. I'll still need more data on what is being planned to make, what I hope, would be an educated estimate or guess.
Doc,

I'd appreciate your opinions on Covid-19 as you develop them. Maybe this could be a dedicated thread for your informed take on this matter.

As a laymen, my opinions matters little, but I'll throw them out anyway

1) It's more than the flu. The mortality rate appears to be around 5%-although that could be due in large part to Chink hesititation in recognizing the severity of the virus and inferior health care infrastructure. Even in allowing for this, Covid-19 appears to be worse than the common flu virus. It's especially lethal to older people in their 80s and above. I've read that it's around a 20% mortality rate for this group.

2) The number of cases in the US is far underestimated as not that many people have been tested. I'd be surprised if the real number of cases isn't closer to 5000 than the official number of 600 or so.

3) I think we'll know in a month or two what we're facing. It's going to have to play out a while longer before anyone can get a firm handle on this.

4) I'm stocking up on dry food (rice, beans, pasta noodles) and drinking water. I'm driving and not flying even though my drive is extensive and I'd rather fly. The risk of flying and taking Ubers/cabs outweighs the inconvenience of driving. If it were a discretionary trip, then I wouldn't go.

5) No more hand shaking for the time being. Keeping hand sanitizer in the car.

6) No interactions with niggers, chinks, dotheads or spics. Business as usual in this department

Last edited by Joe from OH; March 10th, 2020 at 12:11 AM.

Old March 10th, 2020 #3
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe from OH View Post
Doc,

I'd appreciate your opinions on Covid-19 as you develop them. Maybe this could be a dedicated thread for your informed take on this matter.

As a laymen, my opinions matters little, but I'll throw them out anyway

1) It's more than the flu. The mortality rate appears to be around 5%-although that could be due in large part to Chink hesititation in recognizing the severity of the virus and inferior health care infrastructure. Even in allowing for this, Covid-19 appears to be worse than the common flu virus. It's especially lethal to older people in their 80s and above. I've read that it's around a 20% mortality rate for this group.

2) The number of cases in the US is far underestimated as not that many people have been tested. I'd be surprised if the real number of cases isn't closer to 5000 than the official number of 600 or so.

3) I think we'll know in a month or two what we're facing. It's going to have to play out a while longer before anyone can get a firm handle on this.

4) I'm stocking up on dry food (rice, beans, pasta noodles) and drinking water. I'm driving and not flying even though my drive is extensive and I'd rather fly. The risk of flying and taking Ubers/cabs outweighs the inconvenience of driving. If it were a discretionary trip, then I wouldn't go.

5) No more hand shaking for the time being. Keeping hand sanitizer in the car.

6) No interactions with niggers, chinks, dotheads or spics. Business as usual in this department
I'll be most happy to give my observations as they develop. I'll back up my findings with the data that I find. I've all ready found a few things about the virus Covid-19 in and of itself, that I'm planning to post when I can explain it in a good technical form that VNNers will understand and that won't be too difficult since this forum has a LOT of very sharp members. I'll only put my personal comments in when I identify them as such. All of my posts will be referenced. I'll state bluntly that I do not think, with the reports I've read, that the whole world is fearful of a virus which will wipe out most of human life. That's for heebs to posit, since generally they're about as objective as rocks.

Old March 10th, 2020 #4
Erik T. White

Default COVID-19 is the name of the disease, not the virus

Quote:
COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease were unknown before the outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019.
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses

I've been using the term that the (((MSM))) has been using. An analogy is that the disease known as measles is actually caused by a virus:

Quote:
Measles is caused by the measles virus, a single-stranded, negative-sense, enveloped RNA virus of the genus Morbillivirus within the family Paramyxoviridae.[43]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles#Cause

From The Merck Manual Professional Edition:

Quote:
COVID-19 is an acute, sometimes severe respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus SARS-CoV2.

COVID-19 was first reported in late 2019 in Wuhan, China and has since spread extensively in China and worldwide. For current information on the number of cases and fatalities, see the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 2019 Novel Coronavirus and the World Health Organization's Novel Coronavirus (COVID-2019) situation reports.

Transmission of COVID-19

Early COVID-19 cases were linked to a live animal market in Wuhan, China, suggesting that the virus was initially transmitted from animals to humans. Person-to-person spread occurs through contact with infected secretions, mainly via contact with large respiratory droplets, but it could also occur via contact with a surface contaminated by respiratory droplets; it is unclear whether infection can be acquired by the fecal-oral route or what role aerosols (small respiratory droplets) play in the transmission. It is also unclear how readily this virus spreads from person to person or how sustainable infection will be in a population, although it appears more transmissible than SARS and spread is probably more similar to that of influenza.

Super-spreaders played an extraordinary role in driving the 2003 SARS outbreak and may also play a significant role in the current COVID-19 outbreak. A super-spreader is an individual who transmits an infection to a significantly greater number of other people than the average infected person.

Quarantine and isolation measures are being applied in an attempt to limit the local, regional, and global spread of this outbreak.
https://www.merckmanuals.com/profess...%20information

***DISCLAIMER!!! WHAT I POST IS FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY!!! IF YOU FEEL SICK SEEK PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL CARE IMMEDIATELY!!!!***

This is the time when influenza spreads. Only a qualified medical professional can differentiate between seasonal influenza and the disease COVID-19.

Old March 10th, 2020 #5
Susan

Okay...is it just me or is this thing starting to get a little scary? I really try not to let the media get me worked up over nothing but...

Italy now has over 600 deaths. Eric Erickson said on his wsb radio show that of the 10,000 coronavirus cases that 5,000 of them required hospitalizations, and 500 of those required ICU. He also said in NYC that a couple of weeks ago the flu rate had dropped and now it's through the roof--unsure of exact numbers--and they suspect that the flu may actually be coronavirus.

Here in the Atlanta area, Fulton Co. Schools will be closed tomorrow for a 2nd day due to a teacher testing positive for corona. A Waffle House waittress in Cobb County has tested positive. Walmart has announced plans to let any employees stay home if they even think they have it.

Dublin Ireland and Boston have cancelled their St. Patrick's Day Parades. So far NYC and Savannah Ga have not cancelled their parades.

And I could go on and on...

Erik, you're the medical professional here: is this something we need to really change our behaviors for, especially those of us who are over 60?

Do I need to wear a mask when I go to grocery shop or to the doctor's office? I know they say supposedly not to wear these flimsy masks--that they don't do anything. I have a box of those cone shaped surgical masks that I bought months ago. They say they don't filter out disease or infection of course. But this thing is spread through droplets from an infected person.

I have lupus but I never get sick because I take such good care of myself through diet and no smoking or alcohol and staying away from people. I'm sure not being around children helps me stay well.

People around me get sick all the time with the flu, colds, and stomach viruses but I never get sick. Last year my sinuses got badly infected but I 've had chronic sinus problems forever.

Am I being slightly paranoid here or is this thing getting really scary? I'm trying to differentiate between the possibility of it and the reality of it. If that makes sense.

Old March 10th, 2020 #6
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Okay...is it just me or is this thing starting to get a little scary? I really try not to let the media get me worked up over nothing but...

Italy now has over 600 deaths. Eric Erickson said on his wsb radio show that of the 10,000 coronavirus cases that 5,000 of them required hospitalizations, and 500 of those required ICU. He also said in NYC that a couple of weeks ago the flu rate had dropped and now it's through the roof--unsure of exact numbers--and they suspect that the flu may actually be coronavirus.

Here in the Atlanta area, Fulton Co. Schools will be closed tomorrow for a 2nd day due to a teacher testing positive for corona. A Waffle House waittress in Cobb County has tested positive. Walmart has announced plans to let any employees stay home if they even think they have it.

Dublin Ireland and Boston have cancelled their St. Patrick's Day Parades. So far NYC and Savannah Ga have not cancelled their parades.

Erik, you're the medical professional here: is this something we need to really change our behaviors for, especially those of us who are over 60?

Do I need to wear a mask when I go to grocery shop or to the doctor's office? I know they say supposedly not to wear these flimsy masks--that they don't do anything. I have a box of those cone shaped surgical masks that I bought months ago. They say they don't filter out disease or infection of course. But this thing is spread through droplets from an infected person.

I have lupus but I never get sick because I take such good care of myself through diet and no smoking or alcohol and staying away from people. I'm sure not being around children helps me stay well.

People around me get sick all the time with the flu, colds, and stomach viruses but I never get sick. Last year my sinuses got badly infected but I 've had chronic sinus problems forever.

Am I being slightly paranoid here or is this thing getting really scary? I'm trying to differentiate between the possibility of it and the reality of it. If that makes sense.
I'll give some precautions issued by the CDC:

Quote:
Steps to Prevent Illness

There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

Older adults and people who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions like heart or lung disease or diabetes seem to be at higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19 illness. Please consult with your health care provider about additional steps you may be able to take to protect yourself.

Take steps to protect yourself

Clean your hands often
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid close contact
Avoid close contact with people who are sick
Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.

-snip-

Wear a facemask if you are sick
If you are sick: You should wear a facemask when you are around other people (e.g., sharing a room or vehicle) and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. If you are not able to wear a facemask (for example, because it causes trouble breathing), then you should do your best to cover your coughs and sneezes, and people who are caring for you should wear a facemask if they enter your room. Learn what to do if you are sick.
If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.
Here's the CDC link with even more guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...treatment.html

I've seen people in central Florida wearing masks. I don't do that. Nor is it recommended by the CDC unless one is sick.

I'm looking at the various virology journals I can find and I'll present more data as I can find it. I've found several things the (((MSM))) isn't touching.

I've also found one rate of transmission that I've got to verify before I discuss it. This deals with the RATE of transmission (how fast the virus spreads) not the METHOD of transmission. I've seen articles in the lay press that some believe that it can be spread via tears, etc. The causative agent of HIV can be found in human tears: however, that's not the usual way of transmission, as we all know, and I've never seen a case report yet which gave human tears from tear ducts as the causative mode of transmission of HIV in any individual.

I'm close to 70 and I'll take necessary precautions. However, this 2019-2020 influenza season has resulted in 20,000 deaths in the kwa as of 2/29/20 and I posted that data but I'll post it again:

Quote:
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

If you're sick seek qualified medical advice. Period.

I'll post more after I've verified some things I've found as plausible or not.

Old March 10th, 2020 #7
Erik T. White

Default The new coronavirus can survive on surfaces but how long is debated so far

This coronavirus can live on surfaces:

Quote:
As the number of people infected with COVID-19 continues to rise, scientists are working to better understand how the virus is spread.
One of their questions: How long can the new coronavirus that causes COVID-19 survive on surfaces like doorknobs and countertops, and how easily could someone get sick from touching those surfaces?

The answer isn't yet known for sure, but scientists assume the new virus behaves the same as other coronaviruses, such as those that caused previous outbreaks of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, also known as MERS.

"While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, we can use the information gained from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us," the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says on its website.
The World Health Organization has previously said those viruses can last at least two days on surfaces. Officials with the CDC have said coronavirus is short-lived on surfaces.

A new study published last month in the Journal of Hospital Infection showed that coronaviruses like those that caused SARS and MERS could survive for up to nine days on surfaces that have not been disinfected, including metal, glass or plastic.
The study also showed that higher temperatures between 86 and 104 degrees can decrease survival of coronaviruses.

More at: https://weather.com/health/cold-flu/...ve-on-surfaces

Old March 10th, 2020 #8
Erik T. White

Default Coronavirus stability in various situations including bodily wastes

Quote:
irus survival in stool and urine
Virus is stable in faeces(and urine) at room temperature for at least 1-2 days.
Virus is more stable (up to 4 days) in stool from diarrhea patients (which has higher pH than normal stool).

Disinfectants
Virus loses infectivity after exposure to different commonly used disinfectants and fixatives.

Virus survival in cell-culture supernatant
Only minimal reduction in virus concentration after 21 days at 4°C and -80°C.
Reduction in virus concentration by one log only at stable room temperature for 2 days. This would indicate that the virus is more stable than the known human coronaviruses under these conditions.
Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction).
More and a table at: https://www.who.int/csr/sars/survival_2003_05_04/en/

Old March 11th, 2020 #9
Erik T. White

Default Noted SARS coronavirus animal vectors and resoviors along with other findings

Quote:
Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (SARSr-CoV)[note 1] is a species of coronavirus that infects humans, bats and certain other mammals.[2][3] It is an enveloped positive-sense single-stranded RNA virus that enters its host cell by binding to the ACE2 receptor.[4] It is a member of the genus Betacoronavirus and subgenus Sarbecoronavirus.[5][6]
Two strains of the virus have caused outbreaks of severe respiratory diseases in humans: SARS-CoV, which caused an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) between 2002 and 2003, and SARS-CoV-2, which since late 2019 has caused an outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).[7] There are hundreds of other strains of SARSr-CoV, all of which are only known to infect non-human species: bats are a major reservoir of many strains of SARS-related coronaviruses, and several strains have been identified in palm civets, which were likely ancestors of SARS-CoV.[7][8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe...ed_coronavirus

Checking virology literature from the CDC:

Quote:
SARS-CoV Infection in a Restaurant from Palm Civet

Abstract
Epidemiologic investigations showed that 2 of 4 patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) identified in the winter of 2003–2004 were a waitress at a restaurant in Guangzhou, China, that served palm civets as food and a customer who ate in the restaurant a short distance from animal cages. All 6 palm civets at the restaurant were positive for SARS-associated coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Partial spike (S) gene sequences of SARS-CoV from the 2 patients were identical to 4 of 5 S gene viral sequences from palm civets. Phylogenetic analysis showed that SARS-CoV from palm civets in the restaurant was most closely related to animal isolates. SARS cases at the restaurant were the result of recent interspecies transfer from the putative palm civet reservoir, and not the result of continued circulation of SARS-CoV in the human population.
Much more here: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/12/04-1293_article

The SARS coronavirus has been known for years. From 2007, J Virol
, 81 (13), 6920-6 Jul 2007

Quote:
Detection of a Novel and Highly Divergent Coronavirus From Asian Leopard Cats and Chinese Ferret Badgers in Southern China

Abstract
Since an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) was averted in 2004, many novel coronaviruses have been recognized from different species, including humans. Bats have provided the most diverse assemblages of coronaviruses, suggesting that they may be the natural reservoir. Continued virological surveillance has proven to be the best way to avert this infectious disease at the source. Here we provide the first description of a previously unidentified coronavirus lineage detected from wild Asian leopard cats (Prionailurus bengalensis) and Chinese ferret badgers (Melogale moschata) during virological surveillance in southern China. Partial genome analysis revealed a typical coronavirus genome but with a unique putative accessory gene organization. Phylogenetic analyses revealed that the envelope, membrane, and nucleoprotein structural proteins and the two conserved replicase domains, putative RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and RNA helicase, of these novel coronaviruses were most closely related to those of group 3 coronaviruses identified from birds, while the spike protein gene was most closely related to that of group 1 coronaviruses from mammals. However, these viruses always fell into an outgroup phylogenetic relationship with respect to other coronaviruses and had low amino acid similarity to all known coronavirus groups, indicating that they diverged early in the evolutionary history of coronaviruses. These results suggest that these viruses may represent a previously unrecognized evolutionary pathway, or possibly an unidentified coronavirus group. This study demonstrates the importance of systematic virological surveillance in market animals for understanding the evolution and emergence of viruses with infectious potential.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1745...outhern-china/

From 2006,
Adv Virus Res
, 66, 193-292 2006

Quote:
The Molecular Biology of Coronaviruses

Abstract
Coronaviruses are large, enveloped RNA viruses of both medical and veterinary importance. Interest in this viral family has intensified in the past few years as a result of the identification of a newly emerged coronavirus as the causative agent of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). At the molecular level, coronaviruses employ a variety of unusual strategies to accomplish a complex program of gene expression. Coronavirus replication entails ribosome frameshifting during genome translation, the synthesis of both genomic and multiple subgenomic RNA species, and the assembly of progeny virions by a pathway that is unique among enveloped RNA viruses. Progress in the investigation of these processes has been enhanced by the development of reverse genetic systems, an advance that was heretofore obstructed by the enormous size of the coronavirus genome. This review summarizes both classical and contemporary discoveries in the study of the molecular biology of these infectious agents, with particular emphasis on the nature and recognition of viral receptors, viral RNA synthesis, and the molecular interactions governing virion assembly.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1687...coronaviruses/

One other epidemiological finding is as follows:

Quote:
The basic reproduction number (
R 0 {\displaystyle R_{0}}
) of the virus has been estimated to be between 1.4 and 3.9.[66][67][68][69] This means that each infection from the virus is expected to result in 1.4 to 3.9 new infections when no preventive measures are taken.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe..._coronavirus_2

I'll have more to say about Ro tomorrow. For general information see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number

I'll add to my findings daily if I can.

Old March 11th, 2020 #10
T.Garrett
Banned

Post The real virus in the body of mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post

Susan ...the common flu kills 20-25,000 people in the US every year. Do you see the gubbermint and it's press behave this way about it?

Do you believe anyone in government really cares about the public's well being to begin with?

Think ... they are deliberately trying to panic the citizenry and what's up with these 'containments' involving the military?

All of this shit and what they are planning to do in the coming days and weeks is ratcheting up the beatdown on us and the 'measures' they enact 'to protect the public' will become increasingly draconian.

This about the virus called ZOG becoming more oppressive not 'COVID-19' or whatever the fuck they call it

Old March 11th, 2020 #11
George Witzgall

My understanding, and the doctor please correct me if I'm wrong, is that this is a pretty easy virus for babies and younger folks to beat, like a run-of-the-mill cold virus. But because it is novel, adults haven't built up a defense for it like we have with other viruses and their variants, so it could be dangerous for old/frail folks.

Basically, if you're healthy, have healthy lungs and immune system, you shouldn't have any problem. But your parents (or grandparents if you still have them) and older relatives have to be careful; and the concern is at the height of the epidemic, hospitals might become overcrowded death-traps for these folks.

Old March 11th, 2020 #12
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett View Post
Susan ...the common flu kills 20-25,000 people in the US every year. Do you see the gubbermint and it's press behave this way about it?

Do you believe anyone in government really cares about the public's well being to begin with?

Think ... they are deliberately trying to panic the citizenry and what's up with these 'containments' involving the military?

All of this shit and what they are planning to do in the coming days and weeks is ratcheting up the beatdown on us and the 'measures' they enact 'to protect the public' will become increasingly draconian.
As of just now 29 people in the U.S. have died from this virus. On average every year about 6000 pedestrians are killed by drivers in the US.

Hell! I'm more worried about crossing the street, then I am some flu bug.

Mike

Old March 11th, 2020 #13
bedford

I just read on CNN.com that there are now 100 cases in Africa with the most
in Egypt which has had 59 cases.The only way most of these dirt poor countries
can control a contagious disease is if there is a presence of white doctors
in the country like Doctors Without Borders dealing with the Ebola outbreak
in the Congo. 100 cases is very small compared with the population of the
African continent which is about 1.1 billion. It could grow and spread rapidly
though.

Old March 11th, 2020 #14
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
My understanding, and the doctor please correct me if I'm wrong, is that this is a pretty easy virus for babies and younger folks to beat, like a run-of-the-mill cold virus. But because it is novel, adults haven't built up a defense for it like we have with other viruses and their variants, so it could be dangerous for old/frail folks.

Basically, if you're healthy, have healthy lungs and immune system, you shouldn't have any problem. But your parents (or grandparents if you still have them) and older relatives have to be careful; and the concern is at the height of the epidemic, hospitals might become overcrowded death-traps for these folks.
So far you are correct. The current influenza information from the CDC is given below, as of 2/29/2020:

Quote:
Key Updates for Week 9, ending February 29, 2020
Key indicators that track flu activity remain high but decreased for the third week in a row. Severity indicators (hospitalizations and deaths) remain moderate to low overall, but hospitalization rates differ by age group, with high rates among children and young adults.

-snip-

Nationally, influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses are now the most commonly reported influenza viruses this season. Previously, influenza B/Victoria viruses predominated nationally.

Overall, hospitalization rates remain similar to this time during recent seasons, but rates among school aged children and young adults are higher at this time than in recent seasons and rates among children 0-4 years old are now the highest CDC has on record at this point in the season, surpassing rates reported during the second wave of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic.

Pneumonia and influenza mortality has been low, but 136 influenza-associated deaths in children have been reported so far this season. This number is higher for the same time period than in every season since reporting began in 2004-05, except for the 2009 pandemic.

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 34 million flu illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths from flu.

Antiviral medications are an important adjunct to flu vaccine in the control of influenza. Almost all (>99%) of the influenza viruses tested this season are susceptible to the four FDA-approved influenza antiviral medications recommended for use in the U.S. this season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

More information about the influenza viruses this year:

Quote:
People at High Risk For Flu Complications

Most people who get sick with flu will have mild illness, will not need medical care or antiviral drugs and will recover in less than two weeks. Some people, however, are more likely to get flu complications that can result in hospitalization and sometimes death. Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections and ear infections are examples of flu-related complications. Flu also can make chronic health problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have flu and people with chronic congestive heart failure may experience a worsening of this condition triggered by flu. Below are the groups of people who are more likely to get serious flu-related complications if they get sick with flu.

Information for Specific High Risk Groups
people icon

Adults 65 Years and Older
people icon

Pregnant Women
people icon

Young Children
medical icon

Asthma
heart icon

Heart Disease & Stroke
Device_05

Diabetes
lab icon

HIV/AIDS
badge icon

Cancer
people icon

Children with Neurologic Conditions
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/index.htm

Two things that are of concern about the coronavirus are that there is no vaccine for prevention nor are any medications specific for lessening the symptoms but there are medications for influenza symptom relief and there is a vaccine.

Now, if "at risk" people get influenza there is a higher chance of long-term effects or mortality with influenza strains.

With the coronavirus:

Quote:
Who is at Higher Risk?
Early information out of China, where COVID-19 first started, shows that some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes:
Older adults
People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
Heart disease
Diabetes
Lung disease
If a COVID-19 outbreak happens in your community, it could last for a long time. (An outbreak is when a large number of people suddenly get sick.) Depending on how severe the outbreak is, public health officials may recommend community actions to reduce people’s risk of being exposed to COVID-19. These actions can slow the spread and reduce the impact of disease.
If you are at higher risk for serious illness from COVID-19 because of your age or because you have a serious long-term health problem, it is extra important for you to take actions to reduce your risk of getting sick with the disease.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lications.html

Old March 11th, 2020 #15
bedford

Erik, thanks for posting this medical information. There seems to be a scare factor that is several degrees higher than the actual virus. But the actual virus
has killed and harmed a lot of people worldwide. I just contacted a classmate
i met in grad school at Georgia State who is now working in Korea. She is
very concerned about this.

Old March 12th, 2020 #16
Joe from OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post

Fuck off, faggot.

Why don't you go bug chasing and catch the faggot HIV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugchasing

Old March 12th, 2020 #17
Erik T. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedford View Post
I just read on CNN.com that there are now 100 cases in Africa with the most
in Egypt which has had 59 cases.The only way most of these dirt poor countries
can control a contagious disease is if there is a presence of white doctors
in the country like Doctors Without Borders dealing with the Ebola outbreak
in the Congo. 100 cases is very small compared with the population of the
African continent which is about 1.1 billion. It could grow and spread rapidly
though.
So far I haven't seen reliable data on the rate of the spread of the virus. I'm sure the WHO and CDC will publish them when they are reliable.

The Director General of the WHO made some statements on this virus:

Quote:
Both COVID-19 and influenza cause respiratory disease and spread the same way, via small droplets of fluid from the nose and mouth of someone who is sick.
However, there are some important differences between COVID-19 and influenza.
First, COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far.
With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19.
Evidence from China is that only 1% of reported cases do not have symptoms, and most of those cases develop symptoms within 2 days.
Some countries are looking for cases of COVID-19 using surveillance systems for influenza and other respiratory diseases.
Countries such as China, Ghana, Singapore and elsewhere have found very few cases of COVID-19 among such samples – or no cases at all.
The only way to be sure is by looking for COVID-19 antibodies in large numbers of people, and several countries are now doing those studies. This will give us further insight into the extent of infection in populations over time.
WHO has developed protocols on how these studies should be done, and we encourage all countries to do these studies and share their data.
The second major difference is that COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.
While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.
Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.
More at: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...--3-march-2020

As of right now I don't know what effects this virus will have and it seems like the WHO and the CDC aren't quite certain either.

Continuing with the WHO address:

Quote:
Third, we have vaccines and therapeutics for seasonal flu, but at the moment there is no vaccine and no specific treatment for COVID-19. However, clinical trials of therapeutics are now being done, and more than 20 vaccines are in development.
And fourth, we don’t even talk about containment for seasonal flu – it’s just not possible. But it is possible for COVID-19. We don’t do contact tracing for seasonal flu – but countries should do it for COVID-19, because it will prevent infections and save lives. Containment is possible.
To summarize, COVID-19 spreads less efficiently than flu, transmission does not appear to be driven by people who are not sick, it causes more severe illness than flu, there are not yet any vaccines or therapeutics, and it can be contained – which is why we must do everything we can to contain it. That’s why WHO recommends a comprehensive approach.These differences mean we can’t treat COVID-19 exactly the same way we treat flu.
But there are enough similarities to mean that countries are not starting from scratch. For decades, many countries have invested in building up their systems to detect and respond to influenza.
Because COVID-19 is also a respiratory pathogen, those systems can, should and are being adapted for COVID-19.
But we are concerned that countries’ abilities to respond are being compromised by the severe and increasing disruption to the global supply of personal protective equipment – caused by rising demand, hoarding and misuse.
Shortages are leaving doctors, nurses and other frontline healthcare workers dangerously ill-equipped to care for COVID-19 patients, due to limited access to supplies such as gloves, medical masks, respirators, goggles, face shields, gowns, and aprons.
https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/deta...--3-march-2020

We just have to have some more data on rate of spread of the coronavirus, if any treatments of affected people might work, and other factors. There are some European studies that suggest that certain drugs might be of assistance in treatment of the virus: however, they aren't well controlled and some people are advocating things that may or may not work and even be more injurious to a patient with the coronavirus under watch than the course of the disease itself. So far it isn't an automatic death sentence if one is infected with this virus and I hope it doesn't mutate into a more lethal strain.

Old March 12th, 2020 #18
Susan

Thanks Erik for your expert opinions and information here. Dr. Anthony Fauci is quoted as saying the mortality rate for covid 19 is 10 times greater than the seasonal flu. That sounds pretty serious. Maybe you can speak to this.

Old March 12th, 2020 #19
bedford

I just read an article on CNN.com where the director of the CDC in Africa
says only 8 African countries may have the medical infrastructure to contain
the virus and the rest of the African countries do not. There is significant air
travel between some African countries and Europe and Asia. Also the Chinese
have a large presence in several African countries.

Old March 12th, 2020 #20
Susan

Boy, if this thing would just take hold of Africa and spread. Probably would if there weren't so many jew doctors over there. I suspect a lot of those doctors are jews. I wish we had a breakdown of the numbers.

Georgia has just had it's first covid19 death: a 67 year old male in a hospital in Cobb County I think. No info given on his general health.

Personally, I just need to stay away from people so I don't get it. I don't know if my system would be considered to be a compromised one and therefore at higher risk.

I do know that when I used to get the flu, I never got the milder, walking around version. I got the flat on my back, sick as a dog for two weeks version. It was awful. So, the last time I got the flu from my niece on xmas day, about 23 years ago, I vowed to get the flu shot from that point on. And I haven't gotten the flu since then.

Thread