Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > News & Discussion > Science & Technology
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

View Poll Results: What Operating System Do You Use?
Linux 4 30.77%
FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD 2 15.38%
MAC 4 30.77%
Windows 8 61.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Display Modes Share
Old February 17th, 2008 #41
PC}{Magician
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matityahu View Post
Are we? I read carefully the statement I agreed to by signing up, and that was not a part of it. Since I do have access to posting, I'll assume that such is allowed, until such time as someone in charge tells me otherwise.
Did you read this?

http://www.vnnforum.com/showpost.php...43&postcount=1

Old February 17th, 2008 #42
Matityahu...

No, I actually do it all.

I've built all 6 PCs in my house, and I dont even know how many for other people. I've done 3 so far this month, and probably another couple before Feb is over. HTPC's, Car PC's, I do it all. I built my own tablet PC with one of those Mini-ITX mobos(The Picos are cool, but you're still paying for the "wow factor"). Very cool, but I ended up selling it. I've been doing this thing a long time. When I was 4, I was typing BASIC programs into my TI 99/4A.

And I can't say I DON'T do Windows, but it's been YEARS since I swore off the hacked Windows jobs that made me so much money as a kid.

And since I'm self taught, I never HAVE been locked into the Windoze mentality, although I am MSDN certified, and really DO make a fair amount of money fixing them. Vista really is a joke, there really is no excuse for rushing to market after HOW many delays? And if there is any justice in the world (probably not) it will spell the end of Windows dominance, and the dawning of the GPL era.

But yeah, if you run into any trouble making the transition onto a real OS, be it linux, BSD, QNX, what have you... you know who to call... someone else.

Last edited by Matityahu; February 17th, 2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Old February 17th, 2008 #43
Matityahu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC}{Magician View Post
Yeah, my name is an actual Hebrew name.. It's believable.. What about yours?

Old February 17th, 2008 #44
PC}{Magician
Semper Fi

Oh I've ran them all myself so your tooting your own horn just for yourself. I'm sure you were not doing anything on the computer at 4 so I'll just say goodbye to you Mr. Bullshit.....

I've read some of your posts, hopefully you won't last long.

Have a good day....

Old February 17th, 2008 #45
Matityahu...

Quote:
Oh I've ran them all myself so your tooting your own horn just for yourself. I'm sure you were not doing anything on the computer at 4 so I'll just say goodbye to you Mr. Bullshit.....

I've read some of your posts, hopefully you won't last long.

Have a good day....
I don't NORMALLY "toot my own horn" but yeah, if you're gonna call me a liar, with no grounds, I don't mind giving you a bit of background.. It's a little disingenuous to make that out to be arrogance, though, given that you started the mudslinging.

I didn't say I WROTE the scripts when I was 4, but yeah I'd sit there with a book on my lap, punching it in line by line. Believe it or don't, makes no difference to me. My TI-99/4A had no drive, booted off a floppy.. I still remember upgrading to the Tandy, stoked about that huge 20Meg HDD, DOS and First Choice for text editing..

Yeah, buddy, even if you've been at it 20 years, you're a Johnny-come-lately to me.

Old February 17th, 2008 #46
PC}{Magician
Semper Fi

Quote:
I don't NORMALLY "toot my own horn" but yeah, if you're gonna call me a liar, with no grounds, I don't mind giving you a bit of background.. It's a little disingenuous to make that out to be arrogance, though, given that you started the mudslinging.

I didn't say I WROTE the scripts when I was 4, but yeah I'd sit there with a book on my lap, punching it in line by line. Believe it or don't, makes no difference to me. My TI-99/4A had no drive, booted off a floppy.. I still remember upgrading to the Tandy, stoked about that huge 20Meg HDD, DOS and First Choice for text editing..

Yeah, buddy, even if you've been at it 20 years, you're a Johnny-come-lately to me.

Old February 17th, 2008 #47
Matityahu...

Quote:
I'll take that to mean "You have demonstrated you know something about systems old and new. Since I'm proven wrong, I'm just gonna try to save whatever face I can, and back out now."

Thank you! Come again!

Old February 17th, 2008 #48
Matityahu...

Quote:

OK, I'll break my rule, once I say I'm done with someone, I am....

But I just want to add to you, I've forgotten more than you will ever know.....

Now, I am done with you, I only have intelligent conversations with intelligent posters. Sorry, that leaves you out. Say what you want but hopefully you are holding a mirror up in front of your face.........
Really? Cause I'm not hearing anything NEAR intelligent tech talk out of you. I've given you a little piece of what I know and where I come from you. What have YOU had to add?

"I've ran them all myself" ? OH! I stand corrected. Let me bow before your clearly superior technical achievements. How could I hope for my custom systems, and home-brewed distros to compete with "I've ran them all" ? Might as well hang up the towel, and find a new line of work, eh, sport?

< /sarcasm>

Old February 17th, 2008 #49
PC}{Magician
Semper Fi

Quote:
It makes me smile to see that the racists of the world are a big part of that computer-illiterate majority of computer users that only knows how to use Windows.

A tip of my hat to you all, for all the money I make fixing Windows machines.. Especially all you who have already made the switch to Vista.. Shoot, I think the first born's college fund might as well be named "Vista"

Thanks guys!
Ok, I'll break my rule, I said I'm done with you but I'll add some. I normally don't give the poster a second chance.

You come here and call me a computer illiterate racist and how smart you are and how dumb we are.

How do you expect me to act?

It does not matter how long you have been doing something BUDDY, what matters is how much you learn about what you are doing. I have forgot more than you will ever know so how long you have been doing it matters little to me.

And unless you have video of you typing basic code into a computer at 4 years old, sorry BUDDY, I do not believe you. Not to call you a liar, but I don't believe it...

And one last thing, I'm not your BUDDY BUDDY......

So this is over, I've said what I wanted and so have you. I only spend my time on mature intelligent conversation. Not rambling ravings of posters who want to say how great they are and how stupid everyone else is.....

Old February 17th, 2008 #50
Matityahu...

I didn't call YOU anything.

I referred to the fact that the majority of computer users are computer illiterate. If you're really a tech, you know that that's how we make ours. AND you would then also know that WELL over 90% OF those computer-illiterate computer users are using Windows. That is what it was designed for... to let people use computers that don't know the first thing about them. That's ALL it's good for. It's NOT the best option for security, or for servers, or even these days, for ease-of-use, BUT because the majority ARE ignorant, they don't want to go try to learn a new OS, regardless of how ridiculously easy it may be. They want to use the newest version of what they've always used.

Same about racist. I didn't call YOU racist. I think on such a board as this, it's fair to look at the poll and assume the majority ARE racist. Tell me where I'm wrong there, and I'll take it back, but I'm not seeing the problem there.

You can jump in front of a verbal bullet for them if ya want, but dont expect people to believe I was aiming for you.

Old February 17th, 2008 #51
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3115 View Post
"...Call your ISP and tell them that you're thinking about Installing OpenBSD and see what they have to say.
Nevertheless, I'd still like access to my DVD player, in general, as well as my burner. How can I call them through one of my Linux programs?

Old February 17th, 2008 #52
J3115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDK View Post
I just started using PC Linux (on it right now). Very Nice! Noticed web browsing is faster with both Firefox and KDE. Nice interface too. Once I get the partitioning figured out, I'll do a HD install. Thanks to all here for your help.
If you think it's fast now wait until you install it to your H/D............. As for your partitioning - click the install on the pclinuxos desktop button. You will come to a screen that will allow you to use the free space on your H/D it will do all of the partitioning for you without touching your windows partition. I think it uses gparted .

Thread