VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 31st, 2009 #101
bmwbiker
......................... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Thousands of brands at this point.

There are 3 major brewers in the U.S.: Anheuser-Busch, Miller & Coors. They once enjoyed a tremendous market share, peaking in the 1970s with selling almost 90% of the beer purchased in the states.

That has changed dramatically.

In the late 1980s many small local breweries (micro-breweries) began opening up all over the United States.

There are hundreds of them now, each crafting many styles of beer.

The big 3 are losing market share every year, as the small breweries and imports continue to gain ground.
competition is good

best beer is that one what can drink all night (and be drunk hard) and in morning you must be fresh as nothing happend last night, no brain pain...

it needs many long nights to find out which one is the best

In name of Christ.......fight against communist

Old January 31st, 2009 #102
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Avery India Pale Ale

A few times in a man's life, if he is really lucky, he gets to sample perfection. A state of bliss, if you will.

It can be that all-important pitch in the big high-school game that the moment it left your nervous fingers you just fucking knew was an untouchable strike, or the nervous but willing cheerleader at the victory party afterwards.

Avery India Pale Ale is such a form of perfection. I know I have reviewed a lot of IPAs, as it is far and away my favorite style of beer. I've tried at least 75 brands. I'm a happily confirmed racist, and I'm a confirmed hop-head as well.

Simply put, Avery brewery's version is the best I have ever had.

The Avery brewery is located in Boulder, Colorado, and is touted on the website as being "Colorado's hoppiest pale ale".

And it is, brothers and sisters, it is.

The pour looks like the color of sunset in summer. Yellow hinting at burnt orange. A substantial and lingering 2' inch foam is elicited from an aggressive pour.

The first thing you notice is the overwhelming citrus-floral bouquet of massive amount of hops used (Simcoe, Cascade, Columbus & Centennial) with slight earthy tones. It smells like a summer garden.

The taste is all hops up-front, pleasantly herbal and bitter, perfectly balanced in the finish by the two-row Munich barley used. Caramel malt is also used, and adds a slight sweetness to the crystal-clear finish.

If you see it, buy it. Period.

6.3% ABV, so it packs a substantial punch. www.averybrewing.com

Old January 31st, 2009 #103
bmwbiker

that is best beer....ok !!!

i like how you passoned expresed opinion about that beer

Last edited by bmwbiker; January 31st, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: x

Old January 31st, 2009 #104
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolf Croata View Post

That's it.

Old January 31st, 2009 #105
bmwbiker

looks good....

Old February 20th, 2009 #106
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Columbus Brewing Company India Pale Ale

I started this thread two years ago today.

The first review was a pale ale from a local brewery, Columbus Brewing. My how time flies. We now have a non-White President of the United States. It's like living in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

I purchase most of my beer from a local Mom & Pop convenience store that has been in the same (Irish) family for close to 60 years. The owner is a great guy, and likes good beer, so he always has a truly impressive selection of beers and ales from regional micro-brews and foreign offerings.

Now, anyone who has read this thread knows I like the India Pale Ale (IPA) style of beer. Really like it. Turns out that Columbus Brewing makes an IPA. My store carries it now. Cool.

I'm going to blast The Byrd's 8 Miles High (they were a band from....don't ask how long ago ) from the Bose system and find out if it's any good.

Bottle says: "Unfiltered to preserve the distinctive hop aroma, this IPA pours a hazy pale orange. Our unique balance of malt and hops will please even the most discriminating hophead".

To quote the young folks: Orly?

As Bloody Bill Anderson was said to shout at the enemy before every charge during the Civil War: Let's dance!

Initial aroma is very fruity. I'm talking Republican Congressman in an airport bathroom fruity.

Strong hints of orange, grapefruit and citrus. Almost no malt in the aroma, they must use an assload of hops, and I'm betting this IPA is dry-hopped as well. Very pleasant aroma. If you like hops, and who doesn't?

An aggressive pour into our nonic settles quickly to a tight and compact lingering cream-colored head that laces to the bottom of the glass, Color is indeed unfiltered and hazy (it's not pasteurized), and pale orange as touted on the bottle.

Taste is an explosion of (cascade?) hops up front. Pretty much overpowering any other notes. Real bitter, and very earthy. Tastes fresh. There is the slightest hint of caramel malt, but it is barely there. Mouth feel is quite light, not coating or oily at all. Finish is crystal clear, and real dry, man. No aftertaste at all. Well done.

A sneaky and well-hidden 6.9 % ABV packs a wallop.

These guys brew a good IPA. It's recommended. A solid 9.0 on the VNNF Beer-Geek scale, $8.99 a sixer. Grab it if you see it.

www.columbusbrewing.com

"Sidewalk scenes, and black limousines..."

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; February 20th, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Old February 23rd, 2009 #107
Maxine Grey
Banned

I am a Carlton girl

Carlton Draught is one of Australia’s biggest selling tap beers, thanks to connoisseurs who appreciate the smooth, refreshing flavour of a traditionally brewed, full strength lager.

Carlton Draught is brewed with sun-ripened Australian barley malt, which contributes to its distinctive smoothness, then it’s hopped with Carlton’s own special ‘Pride’ variety of hops for an emphatic edge. Cool-fermented with Carlton’s unique pure culture yeast for an easy-drinking palate, and has a true refreshing after-taste.

Old February 24th, 2009 #108
Brian Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Grant View Post
Excellent wheat beer, excellent lost track of a Sunday drinking the above.

Old February 24th, 2009 #109
bmwbiker

Old April 11th, 2009 #110
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Bell's Two-Hearted IPA

I've heard a lot of great things about Bell's brewery out of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

In fact, on the beer/home-brew forum I post on, it is considered the "holy grail" of regional mid-west breweries.

Picked up a sixer of their India Pale Ale offering just now, Two-Hearted IPA. First time I have seen it offered.

Pours straw-yellow into the chilled nonic, substantial and lingering 2' white head is elicited from an aggressive pour. Looks like a beer commercial.

Initial aroma is actually pretty subdued, less hoppy than many I have reviewed on this thread.

Don't get me wrong, the hop notes are there, but do not dominate. No malt aroma at all, which is not surprising, since I am certain they use some sort of (English?) pale malt. Slight alcohol aroma as well, but it is not unpleasant.

Taste is quite mild for an IPA. Tastes more like a traditional pale ale. Not much hop bitterness at all. Nice level of carbonation. Probably bottle-conditioned, although it does not specify. Malt is there in the finish, but whisper-thin. Slight alcohol burn in the finish as well, it's a healthy 7% ABV.

It's good.

Not great.

Better IPAs at a cheaper price point out there to be sure.

A little dear at 10.99 a six.

www.bellsbeer.com

Old April 11th, 2009 #111
C.C.

You better hope they don't get their water out of the Grandriver

Old April 25th, 2009 #112
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Full Sail's IPA

The Full Sail brewery is located in Hood River, Oregon.

From visiting their (very nice) website, it seems as it is a small independent brewery (47 people) ran by erstwhile hippies...lol.

The bottle boasts: "12 fluid ounces of ridiculously tasty India Pale Ale concocted by our massive brewforce of 47"

The pour is golden sun-bleached copper in look, strong almost orange head that reduces fairly quickly to a healthy foam skim that remains to the bottom of the glass.

The initial aroma is pretty subdued for an IPA. Grapefruit, mango & slight citrus notes are prevalent, along with that "fresh grass" (type of hops?) aroma that some IPA's have. Malt in the nose as well, slight fresh bread smell.

Taste is pretty true to the aroma, not a "hop bomb" by any stretch. The initial flavor you get is a little fruit, then the hops do kick in. Some pleasant pine notes in the middle, the finish is very clean, very balanced. Great drinkability.

This is a good IPA in the English style. Nowhere near as hoppy as American IPAs. In fact, it's closer to a traditional pale ale, not that that's a bad thing.

It's recommended.

6.0% ABV

7.49 a sixer

www.fullsailbrewing.com

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; April 26th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Old April 25th, 2009 #113
Steve B
Banned

Excellent review. Makes me want to crack open a beer.

Old May 22nd, 2009 #114
Ty Grant

Default Michigan Brews

I have been to Michigan Lately to help my parents with their lake cottage. I have been traveling from chicago through Grand Rapids, MI. and stopping at the Large Mejier Stores, whom by the way have thier roots in the Danish Community of Greenville Michigan. However the beer selections include some veryfine michigan breweries. They even sell the beers that have "spent yeast" still on the bottom of some varieties. I am sorry that I am not able to exactly pin point the names of the breweries but if anyone is traveling throught that area, thake a gander... grab a micro brew and enjoy some of the great White Michigan cities before they are infested with the spick element that is really just reeking havoc on the communities...

Old May 22nd, 2009 #115
Ty Grant

Default Take a look!!! HELP

Quote:
I have been to Michigan Lately to help my parents with their lake cottage. I have been traveling from chicago through Grand Rapids, MI. and stopping at the Large Mejier Stores, whom by the way have thier roots in the Danish Community of Greenville Michigan. However the beer selections include some veryfine michigan breweries. They even sell the beers that have "spent yeast" still on the bottom of some varieties. I am sorry that I am not able to exactly pin point the names of the breweries but if anyone is traveling throught that area, thake a gander... grab a micro brew and enjoy some of the great White Michigan cities before they are infested with the spick element that is really just reeking havoc on the communities...
I have posted a letter to my mayor about the city crime and great diversity that the "wonderful" hispanic community is brining to our mikghty whity neighborhood. I need suggestions take a look, it is in Aryan Communities, under "urban home steading"

Old May 22nd, 2009 #116
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I have been to Michigan Lately to help my parents with their lake cottage. I have been traveling from chicago through Grand Rapids, MI. and stopping at the Large Mejier Stores, whom by the way have thier roots in the Danish Community of Greenville Michigan. However the beer selections include some very fine michigan breweries.

Yea, Mejier does indeed have a good selection of beer. Picked up a sixer of Victory Brewing's excellent Hop Devil IPA from there a couple of days ago. Saved one for a review I will do later this week. Only place around that carries it locally.

The beer selection at Giant Eagle is even better, if you see one around.

Glad you have been getting to sample some, Ty.

Old May 22nd, 2009 #117
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Victory brewing's Hop Devil India Pale Ale

It's no secret I like hops. If there was a hop-based cologne, I would be totally awash in it. Like Steve B. is in Brut. I have no idea how to make an umlaut.

Victory Brewing Co. hails from Downingtown, PA. Their IPA offering is called Hop Devil.

From the bottle:

"The Mythical HopDevil resides in the lore of farmers. Our HopDevil is the real deal. Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious. He's the product of distinctive American hops and meticulous craftsmanship. Arising from the heady wilds of our Hopback* and gently tamed with time, this Devil makes a great companion!"

So cry havoc! And let slip the HopDevils of war...

The pour reveals a solid and lingering two-finger creamy head atop a deep orange brew.

Initial aroma is very strong, and all hops. This beer is probably the hoppiest smelling I have reviewed to date. One gets hints of grass and a lot of spice in the nose.

Taste is exactly what you would expect. Fresh hops. The malt is nowhere to be found in this beer. It really is quite spicy. There is a slight alcohol taste near the end (It's 6.7% ABV, which explains that) along with an almost indiscernible (caramel?) flavor.

The finish is IPA dry, with no real aftertaste to speak of.

This ale is a real Hop bomb....If you don't like Blitzkrieg-level aggressively hopped beers, you might want to give it a pass.

I, however, find it to be absolutely delicious. Hop-Heads of the world unite!

A solid 9 on the VNNF beer-geek scale. 8.99 a sixer.

www.victorybeer.com

* A "hopback" is a large tub filled with whole-flower hops that the beer is filtered through.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; May 22nd, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Old November 13th, 2009 #118
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Default Founders Centennial India Pale Ale

The Founders brewery is located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I don't know what the weather in Grand Rapids was today, but around here, it was a postcard classic Indian summer 67 and sunny. So I took the cover off of the "fun" car and took one last 2009 ride into town.

There is a lot of good buzz about this regional brewery in the craft-brewed beer universe, and when I saw their Centennial India Pale Ale offered at my local beer shop today, I knew I had to pick it up, push that 440 Mopar to it's limits along deserted country roads lined with seemingly endless dead corn stalks and left-over pumpkins to write a review for all the beer-geeks on VNNF Post-haste.

Both of 'em.

The bottle boasts that this ale is unpasteurized, and dry-hopped. It comes in at 65 IBUs, so a little bitterness is to be expected (and relished, I hope).

An aggressive pour into our pub glass gives us a freshly minted penny-colored brew with a 2-finger head of stubborn off-white foam that laces the entire glass. This is a good looking Ale. I'm talking Christina Ricci in Sleepy Hollow-kinda good looking. Carbonation is typical for a bottle-conditioned ale.

Initial aroma reveals a quite strong earthy aroma, with pine & citrus notes up front as well. I do get some grapefruit, mango & peppery spice too. This is a heavily hopped IPA, including dry-hopping, and it shows in both the hop-oil hazed look of the brew and the very inviting aroma.

Taste is all fresh, green hops & citrus/spice up front, with the malt sweetness (not cloying at all) hitting the middle in near perfect balance. Dry, crisp and clean finish. Mouth feel is light, with the hop oils coating the palate.

There is a slight alcohol warmth there as well, as it is 7.2% ABV, which is a little on the high end, even for an American IPA. I'm glad I got a sixer, because I really want another one.

Highly recommended, a 9.5+ on the VNNF beer-geek scale.

A bit pricey at 9.99 a six, but worth it.

www.foundersbrewing.com

Old November 20th, 2010 #119
T.J. McAllister

North Coast Old Rasputin Stout
Red Hook Belgian Abbey Ale
Mack & Jack's Black Cat Porter
Mack & Jack's African Amber
Deschutes Black Butte Porter

Old December 11th, 2010 #120
McKinley
coast to coast WN

Don't leave your dark beer alone with your light beer.

Kentckyanna True News

"What do you expect? All we got on this team are a bunch a Jews, spics, niggers, pansies -- and a booger-eatin' moron!"

Tanner Boyle - short stop for the Bad News Bears.

Tags
beer, small breweries

Thread