VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 18th, 2012 #141
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
I don't know if it's available there in CO Mike, and it's not a CO local, but if you see it, I highly recommend Prima Pils from the Victory Brewing Co. out of PA. World class, IMO.

If you can't get it there, I trade beer all over the US, and would be happy to ship you a sixer if you would like. Gratis, of course.
Damn, Donnie...I found the web site for Victory Brewing Co. http://victorybeer.com/beers/prima-pils/ .

Just looking at the brew made me put on my drool bib. Even the description is perfect:

2 row German pilsner malt Hops:
German and Czech whole flowers
Alcohol by volume: 5.3%

I may find it here. I'll let you know.

Mike

Old August 18th, 2012 #142
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
The Baptist Ladies, the 4th (and most powerful) branch of government in Mississippi have, for as long as anyone can remember, prohibited sales of beer above 4% alcohol content. This has meant that we could only get the standard stuff as craft beers usually have a higher alcohol content than that.

Either the Ladies were sleeping this year or they're softening up a bit because we finally got a bill through the legislature and signed by the governor that allows sales of beer with alcohol content up to 8%!

I'm seeing all kinds of beers I've never seen before.
4% must have made the pickings mighty slim. Like anorexic.

Old November 4th, 2012 #143
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Budweiser sees big sales drop

Anheuser-Busch isn't seeing hot sales of the iconic American beer. But more profitable brews are selling well.

By Kim Peterson

Is Anheuser-Busch Inbev (BUD +0.80%) killing American beer? That's the theme of this very persuasive Businessweek article, and the company's latest results show that Americans continue to turn against Budweiser.

The brewer's flagship beer saw a 7% decline in U.S. sales in the third quarter. That's a pretty dramatic fall, continuing a trend we've seen for years. Coors Light booted Budweiser from the No. 2 spot in America last year, though Bud Light still has the top spot. The company also makes Stella Artois and Beck's, and said overall U.S. beer sales fell 0.9%.

But Anheuser-Busch is still making plenty of profit. Its North American profit was $1.82 billion in the quarter, Reuters reports. That disappointed analysts who expected to see $1.92 billion. But overall profit rose 15% from a year earlier to $2.34 billion.

The company is trying to reverse its downward spiral by introducing new products, and it seems that drinkers have responded to Bud Light Lime-A-Rita and the more potent Bud Light Platinum. But getting consumers to buy those new drinks came at a cost: Selling and marketing expenses rose 12.8% in North America in the quarter.

Try as it might, Anheuser-Busch cannot sell more beer. Organic volume -- which removes the impact of acquisitions and disposals -- fell by 0.3%. Analysts expected a 2% increase, Bloomberg reported. Much of that volume slowdown was due to Brazil, one of the company's largest markets. Europe and Russia also saw lower quantities of beer sold.

We're now on two straight quarters of volume declines; Anheuser-Busch saw volume fall 0.1% in the second quarter. But overall organic sales rose 9.1% in the third quarter, beating the 7.5% Analysts expected.

So how can sales be rising on falling volume? Higher prices. Beer drinkers are moving away from Budweiser, but they are embracing the more expensive Bud Light Platinum and Lime-A-Rita. That's bringing revenue up.

Although it may not look good, these numbers are pretty much where Anheuser-Busch wants to go. People aren't drinking lower-margin Budweiser but they're trying the more profitable Bud Light Platinum and Lime-A-Rita. Anheuser-Busch is paying for that attention, hoping that eventually it can bring down those marketing costs once consumers are sold. Overall gross margin rose to 58.4% in the quarter from 57% a year earlier.

It all jibes with Anheuser-Busch's intense and aggressive focus on profit at all costs. Here are some of the moves made by CEO Carlos Brito to shore up profits, according to Bloomberg Businesweek:
•Shifted the brewing of Beck's from Germany to St. Louis, alienating fans who said the taste was weakened.
•Laid off 1,400 people, or 6% of its American workers.
•Sold the SeaWorld and Busch Gardens theme parks.
•Made its labels smaller, the glass in its bottles thinner and cardboard packaging weaker.
•Used broken rice instead of whole grains in its beer, something previous management would not do.
•Cut the number of employee BlackBerry phones and told execs to start flying commercial.
•Cut purchases of high-quality hops, like those from Germany's Hallertau region, in favor of cheaper hops.
Investors have applauded every step along the way, making Brito one of the most well-known CEOs in business. Shares of Anheuser-Busch have risen by 50% in the last year.

And where does that leave Budweiser, once an American icon? Anheuser-Busch has tried several times to revive Budweiser, without success. For now, it seems happy to place Budweiser on the back burner while it brews up more profitable beverages.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post...a-7b72498f6afe

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; November 4th, 2012 at 07:46 AM.

Old November 4th, 2012 #144
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I did my damnest to try every German bier when I lived there, and failed miserably. My favorite was from a little village near the Czeck border, Konigstein (about 11km west of Vilsek). It was a dunkel style bier brewed and only available in that town.

I would drive 4 hours round trip on Fridays to fill up a few growlers for the weekend. It was worth it.

There are a few local micro breweries in my area, and one of them has a good oatmeal, and red.

As far as branded beers go, living in Germany really ruined them for me. I do like a Sam Adams Octoberfest fresh from the tap each fall. Pete's Wicked Ale used to make a Honey Wheat back in the 90's that was excellent, but now discontinued. Yuengling Lager is based right here in PA, and is probably the closest thing to a "label" beer that I can stomach.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; November 4th, 2012 at 08:06 AM.

Old November 5th, 2012 #145
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
I did my damnest to try every German bier when I lived there, and failed miserably. My favorite was from a little village near the Czech border, Konigstein (about 11km west of Vilsek). It was a dunkel style bier brewed and only available in that town.
From Beer Advocate:

Munich Dunkel Lager

Description:
An old friend of Bavaria, Munich Dunkels are smooth, rich and complex, but without being heady or heavy. They boast brilliant ruby hues from the large amounts of Munich malts used, and these malts also lend a fuller-bodied beer. The decoction brewing process also lends much depth and richness. Bitterness is often moderate, with just enough to balance out any sweetness. Hop varieties used tend to be of the German noble varieties, like: Tetnang and Hallertau.

Average alcohol by volume (abv) range: 4.0-6.0%

Quote:
I would drive 4 hours round trip on Fridays to fill up a few growlers for the weekend. It was worth it.
A WN that knows what a 'growler' is. Well played, sir.

Quote:
There are a few local micro breweries in my area, and one of them has a good oatmeal, and red.
It's getting to be that time of year, when a roasted oatmeal stout starts to sound really, really good.

Quote:
As far as branded beers go, living in Germany really ruined them for me. I do like a Sam Adams Oktoberfest fresh from the tap each fall. Pete's Wicked Ale used to make a Honey Wheat back in the 90's that was excellent, but now discontinued. Yuengling Lager is based right here in PA, and is probably the closest thing to a "label" beer that I can stomach.
I pick up a sixer of SA Oktoberfest every year. Good stuff. Wheat beers are just not my thing, I've given the style a fair shot, It just ain't happening.

PA has some great breweries. Victory & Tröegs leap to mind. I tried and enjoyed Yuengling, the lager at least.

Old December 19th, 2012 #146
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Oskar Blues! In Ohio!

There is a God! I apologize for that whole 'I'm an atheist' thing, Lord. I asked, and I did receive. Praise Jesus.

All these years of having to UPS Columbus IPA out to Colorado trading for cans of Dale's or Mama's Little Yella Pils or GUBNA...The mind boggles...The mouth waters.

The only down side is that it happened two days before the end of the world. Still, at least it happened.

www.oskarblues.com

Old December 26th, 2012 #147
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

I tasted a beer a few nights ago. A friend suggested that I taste it and I was given a sample. My first thought was that it tasted of walnuts and I thought it would like many beers have a sweet aftertaste. I'm not fond of sweet beers or any sweet taste in beer. It did not.

The bartender (my friend - imagine that) said that the beer was usually described as having a coffee taste, but was not made with coffee. I drank two pints.

Certainly one of the best beers I've ever drunk. No sweetness, no cloying aftertaste. It had no extreme bitter or hoppy taste, yet was substantial. I'm told that it is a fairly rare beer. Damnit! I can't remember the name. I shall remedy that and soon.

Mike

Old December 26th, 2012 #148
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

If you are ever in the Charlotte, North Carolina area.......

The Old Mecklenburg Brewery Company. http://oldemeckbrew.com/welcome.php

We toured the brewery last year when we were down there on business. Quite an operation. The brauhaus is modeled the ones that I frequented while living in Germany.

Their Copper Altbier is truely authentic. It is brewed to the Rheinheitsgebot purity laws of 1516, and you can tell the difference between a true bier and the American beers, even micro brews and IPA's found on market. It was my favorite.

Unfortunately, because the bier has no preservatives, you can only find it locally. Like I said, if you are ever in the Charlotte area.....

Old December 28th, 2012 #149
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post

Unfortunately, because the bier has no preservatives, you can only find it locally. Like I said, if you are ever in the Charlotte area.....
Always looking to try a new brewery. I see the Altbier was rated 'A' on BA. Nice.
Thanks for the tip.

I trade with fellow beer-geeks in NC, so I'm sure I could work a trade for some Columbus IPA. (also rated 'A')

Old December 28th, 2012 #150
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post
I tasted a beer a few nights ago. A friend suggested that I taste it and I was given a sample. My first thought was that it tasted of walnuts and I thought it would like many beers have a sweet aftertaste. I'm not fond of sweet beers or any sweet taste in beer. It did not.

The bartender (my friend - imagine that) said that the beer was usually described as having a coffee taste, but was not made with coffee. I drank two pints.

Certainly one of the best beers I've ever drunk. No sweetness, no cloying aftertaste. It had no extreme bitter or hoppy taste, yet was substantial. I'm told that it is a fairly rare beer. Damnit! I can't remember the name. I shall remedy that and soon.
Damn, Mike. One of the best beers you've ever had? Get that name, I want to try it.

Old December 29th, 2012 #151
Soldatul Vostru
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Denver View Post

Mike
For God's sake man, do remedy that ASAP!

I recently started drinking Leffe Blonde, a damn good beer I must say.

Old December 30th, 2012 #152
Fenria
Self imposed ban

If you're in NorCal, get this on tap:

Lightly bitter, crisp, with a fresh hop aftertaste. On tap is sooooooooooo good!

Old December 30th, 2012 #153
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

I never have liked IPAs. Pliny the Elder though... man what a great beer. I've never tasted anything similar to it in my life.

Old January 1st, 2013 #154
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McQuade View Post
I never have liked IPAs. Pliny the Elder though... man what a great beer. I've never tasted anything similar to it in my life.
You should try Pliny The Younger. It's a Double (Imperial) IPA. Brewed once a year, available only on tap. It's the Moby Dick of India Pale Ale.

Yeah, PTE is indeed world-class.

Usually brought up along with Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point Brewery in discussions over "the best India Pale Ale". Not available locally of course, so I have to trade with a buddy in CA for my Pliny fix. The guys at Russian River Brewery produce some fantastic beers, that's for certain. Try Blind Pig from them as well.

India Pale Ale is far and away my favorite style of beer, and I've tried hundreds of different ones over the years. I've found that the assertiveness of the hops in IPAs can be an acquired taste, but you could say that for ales in general, I would think.

Old January 1st, 2013 #155
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenria View Post
If you're in NorCal, get this on tap:
Not big on Blondes. The ale style or the women.

Old January 1st, 2013 #156
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

I'm not quite sure I want to try more IPAs. I tried 4 or 5 before Pliny, and honestly, it's not my thing. I'll make an exception though and try the ones you recommended if they're as unique as Pliny the Elder.

Old January 1st, 2013 #157
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McQuade View Post
I'm not quite sure I want to try more IPAs. I tried 4 or 5 before Pliny, and honestly, it's not my thing. I'll make an exception though and try the ones you recommended if they're as unique as Pliny the Elder.
Yeah, there are styles of beer I'm not that fond of as well. Not big on Belgian Ales. Drain pours for me, the lot.

Old January 1st, 2013 #158
George B

Default Hard to beat....

Old January 1st, 2013 #159
Cassinelli
Fino all'ultimo

Best beer or best beer?

Old January 1st, 2013 #160
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Tags
beer, small breweries