Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 17th, 2021 #1
Bev
drinking tea

Default New 'Britishness' requirements for public service broadcasters set out by Govt

Quote:
Plans to protect “distinctively British” shows and broadcasters have been set out by the Media Minister today at the Royal Television Society Convention.

Media Minister John Whittingdale announced the new rules for public service broadcasters (PSBs) to make “iconic, not generic” British shows in a bid to help them compete with US streaming giants.

The new rules, announced by Whittingdale in a speech at the Royal Television Society Convention in Cambridge, require PSBs to produce and air “distinctively British” content, as well as specific rules for content aired on digital platforms.

“If it’s set in Britain and made in Britain by our public service broadcasters, then it should be distinctively British.”

The rules on PSB content will “showcase British culture,” in the face of growing competition from abroad, according to a statement by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

“Global investment is extremely welcome – but I want to make sure it doesn’t water down British creativity or the British brand,” explained the Media Minister.

Shows like Dr Who, Downton Abbey, Great British Bake Off, Top Gear, The Bodyguard and Planet Earth were given as examples of popular British TV shows which “reflect Britain and British values”.

Whittingdale also set out his plans to make PSB content legally bound to always be “carried and discoverable to UK audiences on connected devices and major online platforms” from smart TVs to streaming sticks, in a nod to the increasing popular alternatives to traditional TV. Whittingdale said the department planned to put this into legislation “as soon as possible”.

The full proposals for the measures will be published later this year in a Broadcasting White Paper.
https://www.cityam.com/new-britishne...t-out-by-govt/

It'll be interesting to see how "British" and "British culture" is interpreted.

Old September 19th, 2021 #2
John Trent
Banned

Location: The grievously decadent and mental inadequacy-infested cesspit known as Britain

British values = Neoliberal dogma asserted by the government to facilitate the Briton eradication process

British culture = Wimpy, annoying, trivial and weakness-engendering tripe that is massively beneath me

==================

We are allowed and encouraged to love all things British... except the race, of course. You are an evil racist, fascist, genocidal neo-Nazi if you support or advocate preservation of that!

Old September 19th, 2021 #3
robert burns

I don't see a problem with it, France protects its movie industry. The US doesn't produce better movies or shows but because it is a huge industry floods the market in other countries.

Personally I always liked Brit movies and shows.

Old September 19th, 2021 #4
bradfromjoeford

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Trent View Post
British values = Neoliberal dogma asserted by the government to facilitate the Briton eradication process

British culture = Wimpy, annoying, trivial and weakness-engendering tripe that is massively beneath me

==================

We are allowed and encouraged to love all things British... except the race, of course. You are an evil racist, fascist, genocidal neo-Nazi if you support or advocate preservation of that!

You aint got a clue what "British" means. You are a freak....

Thread