Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 2nd, 2013 #121
Alex Linder
Administrator

Homeschool Organization Joins Fight After Court Orders Children to Attend School for ‘Socialization’

December 1, 2013
By Heather Clark

PURCELLVILLE, Va. – A nationally-recognized homeschool organization has filed a friend of the court brief in support of a mother who was homeschooling her children until she was ordered by the court to send them to school to socialize.

Therese Cano of Florida has been in an ongoing child visitation battle with her husband, and during the process of arbitration, the court had appointed a psychologist and a guardian ad litem to oversee the matter.

During a recent hearing, the psychologist testified that the children, who were being homeschooled by their mother, were doing well academically. However, the guardian ad litem told the court that her “gut reaction” was that the children should be sent to public school where they could socialize with others.

As a result, the judge ordered that the children attend public school and lectured Cano about keeping them at home.

“When are they going to socialize?” he asked the mother, according to reports. “Is homeschool going to continue through college and/or professional schooling? At which point are these children going to interact with other children, and isn’t that in their best interest?”

Cano’s husband, Alejandro, had raised no objection to the way the children were being schooled.

Therefore, following the ruling, Cano contacted the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) and explained her story. The organization then decided to file an amicus brief in support of the right to homeschool and to prove that homeschooled children receive adequate socialization.

“It is truly unfortunate that after decades of homeschooling parents are still fighting a battle against ignorance and ‘What about socialization?’ ” Jim Mason, HSLDA’s litigation counsel wrote in a report about the matter. “We see this as an excellent opportunity to educate judges in Florida about homeschooling success.”

“Numerous studies and surveys have shown that children who are homeschooled thrive educationally and socially both during and after their compulsory-education years,” the organization wrote in its brief. “As one researcher concluded, “Despite the widespread belief that home schooling is socially isolating, the research documents quite clearly that home-schooled children are very much engaged in the social routines of their communities.”

“Every mother who homeschools her children is familiar with the unfortunate myths that arose about socialization and academic preparation,” it continued. “On all counts homeschooling meets the standard set by public schools, and virtually all of the research demonstrates that homeschoolers far exceed that bar.”

HSLDA worries that Cano’s case could set a precedent for—or at least be an influence on—other cases across the country. Therefore, the organization seeks to have the ruling overturned.

“The Guardian ad Litem’s ‘gut reaction’ was simply wrong and the trial court erred by relying on it,” HSLDA concluded in its brief. “The unfair, unsupported bias against homeschoolers should not be allowed to persist in the lower courts of this state. The trial court’s order placing Appellant’s children in public school should be reversed.”

http://christiannews.net/2013/12/01/...socialization/

Old December 6th, 2013 #122
Alex Linder
Administrator

Cursive handwriting and 'Common Core'
http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?p...44#post1627144

Old December 9th, 2013 #123
Alex Linder
Administrator

John O'Neill John1943 • 4 days ago −
As a former and retired(thank God) public school teacher I can attest to the truth of this article. My fellow teachers were indeed the dimmest bulbs in the lamp, very few of them had any competence or erudition beyond what some dim wit in education school drummed into them. To them education was making the students fills out endless lists of work sheets which were basically make work projects. The worse were the teachers and administrators who held doctorates and insisted, insisted that everyone call them doctor; anyone who has gone to grad school knows that a Phd. in Education is the equivalent to an advanced degree in horse manure studies. The male students were treated as inferior and yes almost all the honor students and student council leaders were girls. Boys were relegated as Neanderthals to the sports team. Shortly before I retired I noticed that about ninety percent of the new teachers were women. Public schools in America are a joke and becoming increasingly irrelevant. BTW I taught Latin and was considered an odd ball because I demanded correct grammar both in Latin and English.
35 •Reply•Share ›

Old December 10th, 2013 #124
Crowe

I think "Socialization" is a code word for diversity. At least with regards to home schooling. They simply can't have White families homeschooling kids without them interacting with the shit skins they bussed in from 10+ miles away in the inner city.

Old January 7th, 2014 #125
Alex Linder
Administrator

[teacher's mentality]

cannedassUItsARampageLana51L U
Me! I'm equally disturbed by the fact that he equates both with there "being something wrong" with someone. As a Special Education teacher, I love my students just the way they are - their "disabilities" make them who they are and I would never encourage them to change that! People are different - that's, like, the coolest thing about people - that we're different, but also the same! Yesterday 9:08pm

[you could not program a computer to come up with something more backward or illogical. this is one reason the left/public sector loves niggers - they're an entire race of special-needs people]

Thread