Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 24th, 2004 #1
John in Woodbridge

Default PC game review II - Half-Life 2 versus Doom 3

The much anticipated PC video game “Half-Life 2” has been just released after many delays, and I thought I’d write a match-up review against another topnotch video game “Doom 3” which was released a few months earlier and where I have reviewed that particular game on another thread.

First off both games are well-worth the money. Half-Life 2 requires even more resources than Doom 3, and takes up a whopping five gigs of hard drive space. I suggest a computer equivalent or better than my own. Currently I’m running AMD 64 bit processor, a gig of PC3200 ram, NVIDIA 6800 graphics card. Doom 3 can get by with a slightly lesser system, but not by much.

HL2 has some annoying breaks in the game where it has to load up the next section, on my system about 20 seconds. I suspect this will be alleviated somewhat with a PCI-Express Bus platform, which are starting to hit the market currently.

Both games have stunning, but very different graphics and interactions. With HL2 it is amazing how realistic water looks for example, and interactions with various objects is new advancement for a game of this type.

As far as a white nationalist is concerned, HL2 is very multi-cult. Your character is for the most part white, perhaps jewish or with some admixture. Your quasi-love interest is a mulatto female whose father is a negro scientist. Seems like every third character is a “good-natured” negro.

Doom 3 was no doubt created by whites, and they had no desire to placate to the multicultural police. Your character is a tough-looking Aryan marine. Your sergeant is a “Dolph Lundgren”-looking Aryan, complete with the dreaded blonde hair and blue eyes.

All the characters in Doom 3 are white, except for a few Asian sub characters.

Bottom line:

In my opinion Doom 3 is the superior game, mostly because the “immersion” sensation is much greater, a new level in any PC game I have yet tried out. I found the storyline more coherent and thought-out, also.

Half-Life 2

Doom 3

Old November 25th, 2004 #2
John in Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
That 64-bit processor is meant for a 64-bit operating system like Unix. Windows is only 32-bit. Doesn't mean it's faster, just that more information is stored per given memory address, 64-bits worth instead of 32. Correct?
Microsoft has released a beta version of Windows XP 64-bit Professional for free download (one year license). I rarely use it because none of my peripherals has released any 64 bit drivers yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad
An enhanced FSB? What's the speed supposed to be? Isn't it up to 133 MHz without overclocking? I'd like to read up on that. Big bottleneck at the FSB and also at hard drive speeds.
PCI bus has been around quite a while and, although a stable platform, is showing its limitations. SATA hard drives and current graphic cards are pushing its bandwidth to the limit. They didn't get much performance enhancement from 4X to 8X AGP, for example. PCI-Express bus has almost 4 times the bandwidth of PCI.

PCI-Express is still in its infancy stage. I plan on waiting about a year before changing over to that platform. PCI-Express motherboards require a PCI-Express graphics card.

Old November 27th, 2004 #3
Rob Roy MacGregor

Check out the HL2 movie "Traptown"...

http://www.sierra.com/file_list.do?gamePlatformId=470

It would be good if they would lay off the "nice groids" stuff.

Well there's always mod building!

Tolerance is how far a mechanical part can deviate from the
norm before it screws up the entire machine.
– Any Mechanic

The Jews hate us because of our FREEDOM!

Holocaust® is a registered trademark of "G-d's chosen" predestined to "Rule the Earth".
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Old December 2nd, 2004 #4
Colonel-Voltz

To be honest, I wasn't too impressed with either game, mainly because both lack multiplayer. In the case of HL2 multiplayer isn't just lacking it's nonexistent. I would agree though, that Doom 3 is the better of the two games. As for the griods in HL2, I honestly wouldn't have guessed Gordens female side kick was part groid based on her looks though it was still obvious she wasn't white. It seems the makers of HL2 did all they could to make her seem as white/asain as possible without actually making her white or asain.
At the present time I think Rome Total War is the best game out there, and BF1942 being the best action/fps game currently available.

Old December 2nd, 2004 #5
Anima Eternae
The Clairvoyant

Quote:
NVIDIA 6800 graphics card
JC, I hate you and I am jealous.

Quote:
HL2 is very multi-cult. Your character is for the most part white, perhaps jewish or with some admixture. Your quasi-love interest is a mulatto female whose father is a negro scientist
What the hell? That chick is supposed to be mulatto? Fooled me. How inaccurate..

Old December 4th, 2004 #6
John in Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima Eternae
What the hell? That chick is supposed to be mulatto? Fooled me. How inaccurate..
Surprised me too when she introduced her father, Leroy Washington.

I was reading that Nvidia's upcoming Nforce 4 chipset will allow one to run two Nvidia graphic cards in parallel, almost doubling the performance. About a grand in video cards when running two 6800 ultra's.

I'm going to wait about a year before switching over.

Old December 5th, 2004 #7
-LiveWire-
Banned

I know people that really enjoy Half Life 1 and 2 but I can't get into it, the game doesn't do anything for me. Doom 3 is one I haven't played yet but I sure like the sound of it. I enjoyed playing the older Doom games in the past on earlier pc's.

Old December 5th, 2004 #8
John in Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LiveWire-
I know people that really enjoy Half Life 1 and 2 but I can't get into it, the game doesn't do anything for me. Doom 3 is one I haven't played yet but I sure like the sound of it. I enjoyed playing the older Doom games in the past on earlier pc's.
I bought Doom 3 on a whim not expecting much, but was quite impressed with it. By far the best VR game I've seen so far.

Old December 7th, 2004 #9
Colonel-Voltz

Just thought I'd let everyone know that just last night I logged onto steam and it seems HL2 deathmatch has been released. After having spent a few hours playing it, I must say I am pleased. The only downside is the deathmatch mode only has 2 maps as of right now plus a few 3rd party maps. As for weapons, well there are quite a few though not as many as were in HL. My weapon of choice is still the crossbow despite the fact it is nothing like it was in HL. The grav gun is also a weapon which I have reason to both like and loathe.

Old January 17th, 2005 #10
Anima Eternae
The Clairvoyant

I just started HL2, and this game is pretty sweet. Quite immersive.

And Alyx is not a mulatto, but a quadroon. That explains why she is somewhat attractive. But of course, except for her slight epicanthic fold, her facial features are just white with slignty darker skin...

Old January 17th, 2005 #11
John in Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima Eternae
I just started HL2, and this game is pretty sweet. Quite immersive.

And Alyx is not a mulatto, but a quadroon. That explains why she is somewhat attractive. But of course, except for her slight epicanthic fold, her facial features are just white with slignty darker skin...

I neat weapon is the crossbow with scope. When I got the crossbow there was a sniper on a billboard about half a mile away. I impaled him to the billboard with an arrow. Pretty cool.

Towards the end you jump in some kind of pod on a rail that takes you on a tour of.....don't want to ruin it. But it's about five to ten minutes of awesome computer animation.

Thread