Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 23rd, 2013 #21
keifer

Compass Video.
I just picked up the SUUNTO MC2 made in Finland.
If there is something different to be noted besides what is in this video, then I will post it up.

Old March 23rd, 2013 #22
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Land Navigation.

This is something that I wonder if most people actually understand. Magnetic Declination, shooting an azimuth, back azimuth, etc. Land Navigation was one of the subjects that caused the most failures in Primary Leadership Development Course in the US Army.

I am so comfortable with the simple lensatic military compass, I would have a difficult time using anything else.

Old March 23rd, 2013 #23
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

What a terribly boring video. Thankfully, they updated them by the time I served. The information was still relevant, however.

Things like how to find an unknown position from two known positions, back azimuths and pace count bring back memories.

I remember the land navigation course on Ft Knox, KY at PLDC. The most difficult point I had to find.....750 meters straight line distance away (most were 400 meters or less), across severe terrain (several steep draws and spurs). Being given grid coordinates, plot them on a map, and then navigate to them on foot across wilderness terrain - to find an exact point within 10m, and having to do so within a time limit, isn't exactly easy. A large portion of the group would fail to do so the first time around.

Night land nav was even harder. Thank goodness I've always had a good sense of direction, and already knew how to navigate (rudimentary) by the stars.

Old March 24th, 2013 #24
keifer

I watched both videos, 1 and 2, and they were a little stale, but worth the time and bookmarked for future reference. Thanks for posting.

Here is a vid that covers a few primitive ways for finding direction.

Old March 26th, 2013 #26
keifer

Text Resources.

Woodcraft and Camping
by Nessmuk.
http://www.canteenshop.com/sitebuild...nd-camping.pdf

Graves Bushcraft
http://www.chrismolloy.com/page.php?u=p131

Old March 26th, 2013 #27
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Land Navigation.

This is something that I wonder if most people actually understand. Magnetic Declination, shooting an azimuth, back azimuth, etc. Land Navigation was one of the subjects that caused the most failures in Primary Leadership Development Course in the US Army.
If you're stupid, maybe. 90% of land nav is terrain association.

Old March 27th, 2013 #29
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I always made my own, using 550 cord. I still remember my 100 ft pace count (17 paces counted on the left foot). I've rechecked it over the years, and it has always been the same.

Last edited by Mr A.Anderson; March 27th, 2013 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo! Thanks keifer, I completely missed that.

Old March 29th, 2013 #30
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Looking for a good folding saw, and thinking about one of these.

Old March 29th, 2013 #31
keifer

Bahco Laplander is highly respected as the one to carry. They cost about thirty bucks. The saw I have is a ten dollar saw and it cuts like a ten dollar saw. The blade is flimsey and ad to that a poor factory grind on the teeth, I am waiting for the blade to bind up and break. The folding saw is a tool to not be cheap on. At the end of the day, a better quality saw will have saved you calories.

Also small finger sized mini saws are priced friendly at a few bucks, and very handy especially for primitive traps. My Swiss army knife has a small saw blade. At one time I scoffed at its diminutive presence until I actually started applying it for tasks it was designed for, in which case does not include cutting large stock. The #7 Notch is instrumental in primitive traps and general camp set up, and those little mini blades work best.

A person is looking to save calories, time and risk of injury, but the saving of money is likely to diminish the affect-ability of these three primary priorities.

Old March 29th, 2013 #32
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

So, tell me, why do you "need to have" this gear? Do you plan on deploying to North Korea?

Old March 31st, 2013 #33
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
I always made my own, using 550 cord. I still remember my 100 ft pace count (17 paces counted on the left foot). I've rechecked it over the years, and it has always been the same.

Set up for a 5000 meter count.

Old March 31st, 2013 #34
Kajtimar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.M. Valdez View Post
So, tell me, why do you "need to have" this gear? Do you plan on deploying to North Korea?
They must be preparing for the "race war".

Old April 2nd, 2013 #35
keifer

Discussion on tarps and sleep systems on a budget.

Old April 8th, 2013 #36
keifer

Ever wonder what The Navy Seals carry in their packs.

http://nation.time.com/2013/02/21/yo...#ixzz2LttRjEjd

Old May 29th, 2013 #37
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Anyone familiar with "lighter leashes?" Well how about a universal leash -- retractable cords/lanyards for all your shit, with different models running upwards of 4lbs pull weight, including ones for handguns.

Yeah, you heard me.

I bought one today. Been using it non-stop. It's tight as fuck. These things are obviously professional quality shit and the prices reflect that fact.

http://www.gearkeeper.com/index.html

Old June 3rd, 2013 #38
keifer

Radio with 4 way power source that includes solar and hand crank.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...FWQ6QgodX0cAYg

Old September 27th, 2013 #39
keifer

A short discussion on packs. JMHO.

I have reached a point that zippers are no longer acceptable. For the most part zippers are a two handed operation. Ad to that when a zipper makes a 90 degree bend in its path and things then get that much more frustrating. Zippers are loud. Most zippers are made of plastic and plastic shrinks. My last hunt, both my bow case and hunt pack zippers tore out at the seam

Velcro, forget it. Loud, it shrinks and becomes gummed up with debris. Velcro ranks highest in user friendly and one handed manipulation but aside from that I find it a failure.

Leather buckles are both secure a dependable and to some degree, more so than zippers, are one handed and quiet.

More on this pack later.

Old September 27th, 2013 #40
keifer

A quick run down on packs.

Thread