VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 24th, 2010 #1
Joe Owens
Banned

Default Path to Freedom

THE ORIGINAL MODERN URBAN HOMESTEAD

pioneering a journey towards self sufficiency, one step at a time.

This is a good concept Nationalists need to take note of. The coming catastrophe is about to hit out civilisation quicker than most would have you believe. It would be sensible to prepare for this.
I’ve just started growing some Tomatoes. At the moment they are coming along fine. I hope to add other home-grown products soon.

http://urbanhomestead.org/about?q=about

Old June 24th, 2010 #2
heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Owens View Post

This is a good concept Nationalists need to take note of. The coming catastrophe is about to hit out civilisation quicker than most would have you believe. It would be sensible to prepare for this.
I’ve just started growing some Tomatoes. At the moment they are coming along fine. I hope to add other home-grown products soon.

potatoes josef,
the easiest of all vegetables to grow, and the staple of many a diet.
i finally see you give some sensible input. i agree for once. astonishing.

Old June 24th, 2010 #3
Bev
drinking tea

People should also stock up on tinned and dried foods and bottled water. Make sure you rotate it though so your stock is always in date. A good first aid kit will be useful as well, as well as an advance supply of any medications you or your family need.

I've always found sweetcorn very easy to grow and it's very versatile. Like heretic said, potaotes are easy to grow, as are carrots. If you don't have a big garden, or have an all-concrete garden, they will grow happily in a new recycling bag or other tough bag. Plant a couple of marigolds in with your carrots to keep carrot fly away.

I've always though that if and when the system collapses, money is going to be useless. The currencies people are going to be screaming for are fuel and tobacco.

Last edited by Bev; June 24th, 2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: named the wrong person - sorry heretic

Old June 24th, 2010 #4
Joe Owens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
potatoes josef,
the easiest of all vegetables to grow, and the staple of many a diet.
i finally see you give some sensible input. i agree for once. astonishing.
Yes, give me time.

Old June 24th, 2010 #5
Joe Owens
Banned

Quote:

You can now buy small (and big) plastic Greenhouses to grow stuff in.

Last edited by Joe Owens; September 10th, 2010 at 01:55 AM.

Old June 24th, 2010 #6
Angry Of Mayfair
Banned

Quote:
You can now buy small (and big) plastic Greenhouses to grow stuff in.
Looks like skunk to me in that pic......

Old June 24th, 2010 #7
Bev
drinking tea

If that greenhouse is one of these put-together-yourself tubular affairs with a thick zip up polythene cover that goes over the top that are in the £20- £40 range depending on size - first, make sure it's tied to a fence or something securely, that you have bricks on the bottom shelf or that it is somewhere very windproof. I have had more problems with those things blowing over. Even when it was tied to a shed door one side and up against a fence on the other, the thing still blew over (wrecked the plants and ripped the cover). I've now got one that's only about a foot and a half tall and it hasn't blown over yet, but obviously it's not good for tall plants. Perfect for salad leaves though.

Second, watch out for cats sleeping on the top of it, pi**ing on it, scratching through the top of it and trying to get inside it.

Also, when it's very hot, open it up just a little bit or it gathers condensation inside and begins to rot the plastic.

Old June 24th, 2010 #8
Joe Owens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
If that greenhouse is one of these put-together-yourself tubular affairs with a thick zip up polythene cover that goes over the top that are in the £20- £40 range depending on size - first, make sure it's tied to a fence or something securely, that you have bricks on the bottom shelf or that it is somewhere very windproof. I have had more problems with those things blowing over. Even when it was tied to a shed door one side and up against a fence on the other, the thing still blew over (wrecked the plants and ripped the cover). I've now got one that's only about a foot and a half tall and it hasn't blown over yet, but obviously it's not good for tall plants. Perfect for salad leaves though.

Second, watch out for cats sleeping on the top of it, pi**ing on it, scratching through the top of it and trying to get inside it.

Also, when it's very hot, open it up just a little bit or it gathers condensation inside and begins to rot the plastic.
Yes, it is. I only pulled the front up to display plants. Yes, it is indeed tied to the fence. Yes, i do open it when condensation accrues. A good friend of mine advised me on all what you now say.

Old June 24th, 2010 #9
Angry Of Mayfair
Banned

Hydroponics are usually better for growing skunk.

Old June 24th, 2010 #10
heretic

Quote:
People should also stock up on tinned and dried foods and bottled water. Make sure you rotate it though so your stock is always in date. A good first aid kit will be useful as well, as well as an advance supply of any medications you or your family need.

I've always found sweetcorn very easy to grow and it's very versatile. Like mersey said, potaotes are easy to grow, as are carrots. If you don't have a big garden, or have an all-concrete garden, they will grow happily in a new recycling bag or other tough bag. Plant a couple of marigolds in with your carrots to keep carrot fly away.

I've always though that if and when the system collapses, money is going to be useless. The currencies people are going to be screaming for are fuel and tobacco.
you called me mersey! to this i take extreme exception.

Old June 24th, 2010 #11
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
you called me mersey! to this i take extreme exception.
Oh god - I am so sorry! I will edit it now - there is too much blood in my caffeine stream to be posting yet.

Old June 24th, 2010 #12
heretic

Talking

Quote:
Oh god - I am so sorry! I will edit it now - there is too much blood in my caffeine stream to be posting yet.
i will forgive you, but only because its you

Old June 24th, 2010 #13
Bev
drinking tea

On a slightly related note - has everyone taken this test about whether you would survive if there was a total collapse of law and order?

http://www.gotoquiz.com/would_you_su...f_social_order

I have a 64% chance of survival, but that is, of course, without any sort of firearm. I also felt sorry for the thieving guy and let him go with just a kicking, which I think lowered my score.

Old June 24th, 2010 #14
Serbian Sympathiser

As well as growing vegetables i think it would be wise for us to also talk about 'the coming catastrophe!'

Old June 24th, 2010 #15
scouse83

My father had an allotment for 30 years and grew all sorts of organic stuff very rarely using pesticides.I have been thinking about digging parts of our back garden over growing potatoes and cauliflower,i think you can grow ptatoes in any soil with natural fertilizer ie horse shit.

Old June 24th, 2010 #16
Jock Oldham
Time to Stand

http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com..._barrel_or_bag

a very good way to grow potates I do...

UK nationalism A mixture of many different groups within the boundaries of Britain..dont alienate any of them with our ignorance or our lack of understanding....

Old June 24th, 2010 #17
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Quote:
On a slightly related note - has everyone taken this test about whether you would survive if there was a total collapse of law and order?

http://www.gotoquiz.com/would_you_su...f_social_order

I have a 64% chance of survival, but that is, of course, without any sort of firearm. I also felt sorry for the thieving guy and let him go with just a kicking, which I think lowered my score.
During the coming catastrophe, I am going to join a gang of fellows, and together, we will collectively 'tax' the gardeners, happy potting, shed-heads.

Old June 24th, 2010 #18
Mr Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-Boy View Post
During the coming catastrophe, I am going to join a gang of fellows, and together, we will collectively 'tax' the gardeners, happy potting, shed-heads.
Then get ready to feel the sting of our crossbow bolts into the hides of your pikey thieving arses you anti-civilization, nigger-like, criminal pieces of shit.

Old June 25th, 2010 #19
Charlie-Horse
Elusive Pimpernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Murray View Post
Then get ready to feel the sting of our crossbow bolts into the hides of your pikey thieving arses you anti-civilization, nigger-like, criminal pieces of shit.
Every society needs a system of taxation. Some people are natures sheep and the others the wolves, prepare to be fleeced.

Old June 25th, 2010 #20
Sunlightdemented

Quote:

I've always found sweetcorn very easy to grow and it's very versatile. Like heretic said, potaotes are easy to grow, as are carrots. If you don't have a big garden, or have an all-concrete garden, they will grow happily in a new recycling bag or other tough bag. Plant a couple of marigolds in with your carrots to keep carrot fly away.

I only have a small garden, I have an old bath I grow my potatoes in. I have lettuce, raddish, strawberries growing in planters on a wall (due to having hens).

Thread