Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 21st, 2007 #1
Jerry Abbott

Jerry Abbott
Default Reducing Population in Step with Oil Depletion, by William Stanton EXCELLENT ARTICLE!

I found this article on Bill Totten's Weblog, entitled "Oil and People."

http://billtotten.blogspot.com/2005/...nd-people.html

Jerry Abbott
Reducing Population in Step with Oil Depletion

by William Stanton

[excerpt only, go to link for full article]

...Probably the greatest obstacle to the scenario with the best chance of success (in my opinion) is the Western world's unintelligent devotion to political correctness, human rights and the sanctity of human life. In the Darwinian world that preceded and will follow the fossil fuel era, these concepts were and will be meaningless. Survival in a Darwinian resource-poor world depends on the ruthless elimination of rivals, not the acquisition of moral kudos by cherishing them when they are weak. In fact, human civilization in the fossil fuel era has been totally anomalous, fuelled by the unthinking exploitation and exhaustion of all the world's resources, not just fossil fuels. Sir Fred Hoyle pointed out, decades ago, that Western civilization was a "one-shot affair", for this reason (Duncan 1997).

So the population reduction scenario with the best chance of success has to be Darwinian in all its aspects, with none of the sentimentality that shrouded the second half of the 20th Century in a dense fog of political correctness (Stanton 2003 page 193). It is best examined at the nation-state scale. The United Kingdom will serve as the model.

To those sentimentalists who cannot understand the need to reduce UK population from sixty million to about two million over 150 years, and who are outraged at the proposed replacement of human rights by cold logic, I would say "You have had your day, in which your woolly thinking has messed up not just the Western world but the whole planet, which could, if Homo sapiens had been truly intelligent, have supported a small population enjoying a wonderful quality of life almost for ever. You have thrown away that opportunity."

[end of excerpt]

Old November 22nd, 2007 #2
Itz_molecular
Banned

This article is silly ! Thinking that scarce oil will effect population is absurd .

Everything currently done with oil can be done with coal , liquified if necessary .
A much greater likelihood is that we will be choking on our own exhaust fumes , as
the Chinese are doing . Already , Chinese pollution is drifting across the pacific and
effecting the air quality on the West Coast .

I don't know what conclusion this author is trying to reach , it doesn't matter , his premise is wrong .

Thread