VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 12th, 2009 #1
alex revision

Default Holocaust revisionist Frederick Toben sentenced to three months' jail

Holocaust revisionist Frederick Toben sentenced to three months' jail

May 13, 2009 12:27pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

"REVISIONIST historian" Fredrick Toben has been given a three-month jail term for contempt of court - but has also won a 14-day reprieve to file appeal papers.

On his way into the Federal Court this morning, the controversial website operator vowed he was ready to be jailed, without regret, for expressing his beliefs about the Holocaust and Jewish people.

"I've mentally prepared myself to go inside for a few weeks or months," he said.

"Anyone who expresses an opinion should not be silenced because someone else is offended, but my opinions have been criminalised.

"How could I regret having done something in good faith?"

His tone changed markedly, however, as soon as Justice Bruce Lander imposed the jail term, and ordered he pay costs, for 24 counts of contempt of court.

Toben's lawyer immediately launched into a two-hour plea for leniency, saying he would lodge several appeals and seek to have his client serve his sentence under home detention.

Though lengthy, the submissions failed to impress Justice Lander.

"I must say that these applications are made in an entirely unsatisfactory way," he said.

"Notwithstanding that, I will stay the imprisonment for 14 days – I would not want Toben to serve time in prison if there were an error in my reasons."

In his judgment, Justice Lander said Toben breached Federal Court orders to stop implying Jewish people offended by Holocaust denial were of "limited intelligence".

"Toben has apologised only because he was so advised," he said.

"It does not reflect a frank acknowledgement of the contempt which has been committed or any true expression of regret on his part.

"A sentence of imprisonment, although a sentence of last resort, is required in this case."

Justice Lander adjourned the matter to an appeal hearing in two weeks.

Outside court, Toben insisted he had not changed his mind about going to jail.

"I'm acting under legal advice," he said.

Old May 13th, 2009 #2
Derrick MacThomas

Put the words 'lander jew' into Google.
You will see that Lander is a Jewish name.
A Jewish judge explains a lot.

Thread